• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tony Chenault Story

Damn.

And is it me or does Jay Wright come off like a dick in that article?

"If you're really going home for a family's problem, then do you need to play?'' Villanova coach Jay Wright said. "We benefitted from Tony's misfortune, but if Tony didn't get to play right away, he would have been fine. I worry if people are abusing it."

He might home across as a dock on that situation, but it's a fair question. I'm sure that rule is being abused. Not necessarily in TC's case, but by someone.

He might home across as a dock on that situation, but it's a fair question. I'm sure that rule is being abused. Not necessarily in TC's case, but by someone.

No doubt it's abused, but I just don't see the purpose in making the case for abuse when one of your current players is/has gone through this situation for the right reason.

"And in between, Chennault struggled on the basketball court for the first time that he could remember."

I found this quote odd - I mean he broke his foot his freshman year, and clearly had some struggles when he came back. I mean I do feel for the guy and all, and I don't begrudge him anything for transferring given his situation, but I doubt even Tony would completely believe that writer's attempt at context.

Sad story. I think Jay Wright is correct. If you're going through a true hardship like Tony, in most cases you'd probably be better served sitting out the year. New academic programs, plus joining new basketball program, plus dealing with a family hardship is a LOT to deal with. However, I wonder if as many schools would want the transfers if they couldn't play right away.

Sad story. I think Jay Wright is correct. If you're going through a true hardship like Tony, in most cases you'd probably be better served sitting out the year. New academic programs, plus joining new basketball program, plus dealing with a family hardship is a LOT to deal with. However, I wonder if as many schools would want the transfers if they couldn't play right away.

Agreed. I think Wright comes off looking pretty good in that article, he is saying to put the kid's well-being first and use that extra year for them to focus on their off-the-court hardships.

Agreed. I think Wright comes off looking pretty good in that article, he is saying to put the kid's well-being first and use that extra year for them to focus on their off-the-court hardships.

agree. i wonder what the answer is for a kid like tc that had a legit hardship and was too close to the situation to see what he may have really needed which was time away from the pressure of basketball (not the team and support itself). i wonder if there is an answer. most kids are not going to want to sit out and wait for their shot. i would think some way to entice them to sit out such as an extra year of eligibility for instance would just be a terrible mistake because it would get so abused. tough situation to tc. wish him the best.

I don't think what Wright said is that different from what Tony's brother said, or really what Tony himself is saying with a year's hindsight.

Back