• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Top 3 Choices

If Wright were actually in play, I'd easily put him as second on my list behind Shaka. Probably ahead of Marshall even.

Same, but he seems so far-fetched I don't even think he's worth talking about.

Wright has turned down the NBA, I'd be shocked if he even listened to a Wake offer

A challenge for pro Howland folks: Find a basketball basketball coach that you would consider good (other than Howland) who has had 4 consecutive seasons outside the top 40 in Kenpom rankings while coaching at a high major school during the last 12 years (Kenpom era).

This is ignoring the fact that Howland did it at UCLA, not just a normal high major. The best I can find is Mike Anderson at Missouri and Arkansas, although I might be missing someone.

A challenge for pro Howland folks: Find a basketball basketball coach that you would consider good (other than Howland) who has had 4 consecutive seasons outside the top 40 in Kenpom rankings while coaching at a high major school during the last 12 years (Kenpom era).

This is ignoring the fact that Howland did it at UCLA, not just a normal high major. The best I can find is Mike Anderson at Missouri and Arkansas, although I might be missing someone.

I think most of us that favor Howland look at what he did at Pittsburgh over his obvious successes at UCLA.

Of course, I don't think any of us favor him over Shaka or Marshall, but he would be a strong third choice. I favor him over Amaker.

Ape Tit and Fckvwls: if we accept the original post, who do you like between Howland and Amaker?

Amaker for me. If Amaker had jumped straight from the Duke bench to Harvard, everybody would be drooling over him. His failure at Michigan is worrying but maybe he improved a lot as a coach.

I'd take any of the young stud trio of White/Masiello/Miller over him though.

FWIW - Nova insiders aren't particularly worried about losing Wright. There are concerns present about the nBE in light of Buzz bailing, but no one thinks Wright is seriously considering a move. One thing to keep an eye on is he has wanted a redone Pavillion (Nova's home arena) for a while and nothing has been done.

And that's unfair to Mike Anderson (who I think is a really good coach) because he left a top 10 Mizzou team in favor of inheriting our boi John Pelphrey's mess at Arkansas, which he has been rebuilding pretty nicely.

I think there is a pretty inverse correlation between liking Howland and giving a flying fuck about KenPom.

Much more encouraged by the names I am hearing post Bz's "resignation" than I was in the weeks leading up to his departure. I would still be a bit shocked if it ends up being Shaka but donors have put a lot of pressure on the powers that be to make a great hire. It is hard to justify large donations to a capital campaign aimed at cementing Wake as an elite University when you do not commit to being elite in the most visible department in the entire University.

eta: I really hope it is Shaka. He is exactly what Wake needs in a basketball coach. Not sure he will leave VCU but we need to do whatever it takes to try to convince him.

Last edited:
Back