• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Top 3 Choices

Not saying I'm an Amaker fan, just evaluating what he brings. The Seton Hall/Michigan could be going too big too fast. Sitting next to kaye is not the same as being the coach. It's taken Dawkins 6 years to get Stanford back to the dance.

So the argument could me made that Amaker wasn't ready for prime time and had to go back an learn what it takes to be a successful coach.

Of course looking at his actual record shows that in 17 seasons he's had 3 losing seasons, two of which were his first at Michigan and Harvard.

At Seton Hall he was 68-55
Michigan 108-84
Harvard 139 - 70

That is a possibility. I will give you that. Maybe he wants to stay there forever. But his stock is never going to get higher. He could go to Washington State I suppose.

Who is Mark Few?

Who is Mark Few?

A well paid man, comfortable in his skin. Shaka could be that man at VCU. It's possible. So we tear Wright away from Villanova. I don't care. The Big East is dead. Everyone knows that. At least Buzz Williams does.

I don't see Jay Wright leaving Villanova for Wake unless Wake joins the NBA.

Shaka is #1 for me, and I think it will happen quickly if it's going to happen. I'd love Jay Wright, but doubt that would happen. Howland and Archie are next, and then Amaker's farther down the list. You were never scared of his Seton Hall teams, and he couldn't get it all together at Michigan.

The fucking Archie Miller love really perplexes me....jesus christ I hope we can do better than a guy with 3 years experience and a record almost identical to Dino Gaudio's at a lower tier school.

There are probably too many administrators in the athletic department. We need a good coach more, much more, than a lot of paper pushers.

When I think about perhaps the smallest Athletic Department in the ACC, I think administrative bloat.

Right now, I think Wake is the best job available for a coach looking to leave or move up. However, realistically, I don't think we have a shot at Smart or Marshall, though I'd love either one. So, if those two are eliminated, my three would be Howland, White, and Miller, in that order. Someone mentioned that Howland is an ass. The consensus is that Marshall is an ass, but if we got either one, and won again, they'd be OUR asses and we'd love it! Ass or not, Howland is a winner. I want somebody who can consistently go nose to nose on the floor and in recruiting with Deputy Dawg and the Ferret and take care of business with everyone else, and I don't care about his personality as long as he has one. Of the mid-major studs out there, Shaka Smart is probably the only sure bet to succeed at a higher level. The rest may be good, but there is risk involved. I suspect that RW at this point, after the last 4 years, is risk averse. My guess, which is no better than anyone else's, is that he'll put out feelers to Smart, not get a positive response, and offer Howland. The unknown in this equation, given RW's remarks about the search process, is the role Hatch will play in all this. For the right guy, money will not be a problem unless the demand is obscenely high, but I really don't think Shaka is motivated in that direction. I see him more as the Mark Few of the east coast. Hope I'm wrong.

83 is so invested in Shaka staying at VCU. I can't quite figure it out.

I think is is 88 who is really invested. Or mYbe it's both, which would further prove my theory that all posters with an 8 in their name suck.

I will consider it a win if I hear who we hired and don't have to say, "Who the hell is [New Coach]?" again.

There is a belief that Michigan wasn't committed to bball at the time. I don't know how to fully judge Amaker but he is no chump. At the very least he'd be a top notch recruiter.

I can actually see this, as it was before the Thad Matta era at Ohio State, so that external pressure wasn't there, and of course the whole program at that time was more focused on moving on in the wake of its NCAA investigations.

Cares enough to email back and forth with me over the last year about our situation with Bzz. Believe what you want. At the same time Andy has no incentive to mess with me. Of course he could be, but its not the first emails we've exchanged.

Shaka's not afraid to walk away from money, so something else is at work with his decisions. Given that he's not being paid $300k a year, he's in a position to do what he enjoys doing and not have to chase every dollar.

He fucking hates you and wishes you would stop e-mailing him. He looks at his smartphone and says "God, this fucking guy again?" You are a hangnail on his fucking toe

He fucking hates you and wishes you would stop e-mailing him. He looks at his smartphone and says "God, this fucking guy again?" You are a hangnail on his fucking toe

BBD, that's just mean! 83, prove he's wrong by telling us how often Katz has emailed you unprompted, just to say hello and asking about your family.

There is a belief that Michigan wasn't committed to bball at the time. I don't know how to fully judge Amaker but he is no chump. At the very least he'd be a top notch recruiter.

Michigan won a national championship in the late 80's and had the fab five in the early 90s where they lost in the finals. I guess I don't recall a time that they were not committed to basketball. They just did not win with Amaker.

I want Shaka but I see no plausible way that we get him. If you're him, you are winning now and show no signs that you will stop winning any time soon. He can build an empire at VCU. If he comes here, he will likely become forgotten as he rebuilds for 2-3 years with the hopes of making it back to the tournament every year. However, the pressure here is higher than VCU given that our fanbase has had considerable success and we are surrounded by the elite. Again, I'd go Roy McAvoy after he dunked in his 12th shot if we got him, but I fear that our hopes of getting him are nearly that long.

The more likely hire, IMO, remains Howland. The Marquette job being open sucks but we have the money, the tradition and the not-Milwaukee-weather to win him over.

BBD, that's just mean! 83, prove he's wrong by telling us how often Katz has emailed you unprompted, just to say hello and asking about your family.

Whatever, BBD is just jealous I have such high powered contacts. :)

Katz and I will have dinner when he's in Dallas for the Final 4.

I'd love for Shaka to come here but if there really is some deep reason he's not going to consider us I'm not going to get myself all worked up about it. 80-90% of the board convincing themselves there is no reason for him not to come here is not healthy. It is completely possible that Shaka is not leaving VCU no matter how much money Wake throws at him no matter how good of a fit Wake might be.

Back