• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Top Hat Collective

Pay each basketball recruit 10K and pay each football recruit 5K as a starting point or minimum.

I assume something like that is already happening.

How do booster organizations such as the Deacon Club plan to fit into all of this? I realize the Deacon Club's charter is not the same as an NIL organization. But, there's only so much $$$ to go around and so many ponds in which to fish for it.
I've been saying this for years, but others keep insisting that there's somehow more money now to go around. Money going directly to star players will hurt programs overall in big and small ways.

I've been saying this for years, but others keep insisting that there's somehow more money now to go around. Money going directly to star players will hurt programs overall in big and small ways.

I'm not sure it will be that big of a deal. It should significantly slow the facilities arms race, but that was way out of control anyway. It is absurd that Wake Forest will have better facilities than a lot of NFL teams once the new locker room is completed.

Speaking of Miami NIL, as mentioned on the men's college hoops thread, Miami women's basketball got commits from the Cavinder twins who are believed to be worth $3 million+ in NIL. Haley was the 2021 MVC POY and Hanna has been All-MVC. Never been to Fresno, but I'm guessing Miami is better for TikToks.

At the start of the 2022-23 season, Miami head coach Katie Meier served a three-game suspension for committing what the NCAA resolution described as Level II violations by setting up a meeting between the Cavinder sisters and Miami booster John Ruiz.

Ruiz is an attorney and businessman who serves as CEO of LifeWallet. His three children attended Miami and he is known to be a strong supporter of the university. Ruiz has spent more than $10 million on NIL deals with more than 100 athletes.

Here is the full list of penalties for Miami as approved by the Committee on Infractions:

• One year of probation.
  • A $5,000 fine plus 1% of the women's basketball budget.
  • A 7% reduction in the number of official visits in women's basketball during the 2022-23 academic year.
  • A reduction of nine recruiting-person days in women's basketball during the 2022-23 academic year.
  • A three-week prohibition against recruiting communications by women's basketball staff beginning with the open date of the Transfer Portal (from March 13 through April 2, 2023).
  • A 10% suspension (three games total) for the head coach, served during the first three contests for the 2022-23 season.

Yeah. I got a laugh at 7% reduction in official visits. So like two girls have to take unofficial visits instead.

Back