• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Totally Unofficial 2010/11 PL Thread

I think Kagawa is more of a creator. I'm less worried about players that can protect the back 4 than I am players that can break a defense down with a killer pass consistently.

That's why I give the edge to Kagawa.

The only thing I'd say is that there is much, much more to Sahin's game than just protecting the back 4. He's played as part of a central 2 at Dortmund, but the protecting is Bender's job. Almost everything else runs through Sahin. Kagawa's dynamite around the area, but I'd guess that Sahin has more assists or "killer" passes. I'd be interested to see how many assists or chances Sahin created for Kagawa vs. how many Kagawa created for Barrios, for instance.

Both are good players with promising futures; I think the bigger risk at this point is taking Kagawa, though he could end up the better player.

I hope they both stay at Dortmund at least through next year, just because I'd like to see how that team grows together.

why was i under the impression earlier in the season that Kagawa was a marauding fullback?

Uchida at Schalke and Nagatomo at Inter are attacking fullbacks, both of whom have emerged this year playing really well for big clubs. That could be the source of confusion.

Plus, they all look alike.

ETA - though Nagatomo was playing at Cesena the first half of the season, so I don't know how much he would have been in the news before his loan to Inter.

Uchida at Schalke and Nagatomo at Inter are attacking fullbacks, both of whom have emerged this year playing really well for big clubs. That could be the source of confusion.

ETA - though Nagatomo was playing at Cesena the first half of the season, so I don't know how much he would have been in the news before his loan to Inter.

yeah i wasn't thinking Nagatomo. Must've been the Schalke guy. Thanks

Sahin is really good. Deeper lying playmaker, but can get forward. Dortmund played their best stuff with him and Bender in central midfield with Kagawa ahead, playing just off of Barrios.

Kagawa's been hurt for a while, though, and Sahin picked up an injury last month. Didn't slow them down too much.

There is no chance he would have ever gone to Villa.

I'm not quite sure how he and Alonso could work together, but it would give them another option if Alonso was out. Alonso is also good enough to play with pretty much anyone, and Sahin does like to get forward a little more and will score more goals. Definitely would be the end of Kaka, if it wasn't already.

That being said, I think Sahin should stay at Dortmund for at least the next year -- get a full healthy year, make waves in the Champions League, continue something special.

agreed, really hope they keep the team together. Great stadium and awesome fans, sweet colors and kit, very exciting young team and coach, could be really fun to watch in the Champions League, which isn't something it needs after the downer it's been this season. An exciting Villareal (with some more depth) and BvB could brighten up the competition.

agreed, really hope they keep the team together. Great stadium and awesome fans, sweet colors and kit, very exciting young team and coach, could be really fun to watch in the Champions League, which isn't something it needs after the downer it's been this season. An exciting Villareal (with some more depth) and BvB could brighten up the competition.

Porto, too, if they keep most of their players and Villas Boas; which I hope they do, though I imagine their players are going to attract a lot of interest from the top of the Premier League and other big European teams this summer, as well as the manager. They are for real.

thats_wasis.gif

A guy that supports a London club that is cheering for chelski. Amazing.

he has played pretty well recently, cheap, english, doesn't complain about being a sub, good for other reserves/youth products to see someone make it from the academy, effort is always there, etc.

Exactly. Good squad/spot start player. Team guy. Won't be bitchy about the turnover that is surely coming.

A guy that supports a London club that is cheering for chelski. Amazing.

Seriously. Even though the odds are astronomical, Arsenal needs Chelsea to beat ManUre for any shot at the PL title.

Frankly, pulling for ManU in America is about the same as pulling for the Yankees, Lakers or Tarholes/Duke.

Excited that I finally get to watch Spurs play tomorrow. Too bad it is probably too late to salvage another CL trip. Just need to wrap up Europa now.

Seriously. Even though the odds are astronomical, Arsenal needs Chelsea to beat ManUre for any shot at the PL title.

Frankly, pulling for ManU in America is about the same as pulling for the Yankees, Lakers or Tarholes/Duke.

What about pulling for Liverpool then? They have more trophies overall than United? Chelski and citeh spend more than United (Hell, so have Spurs the last 5 or so years, actually.) What about Barca or Real Madrid who spend more on wages each year than the Yankees?

Are Americans pulling for "the Yankees" if they support one of those clubs?

What about pulling for Liverpool then? They have more trophies overall than United? Chelski and citeh spend more than United (Hell, so have Spurs the last 5 or so years, actually.) What about Barca or Real Madrid who spend more on wages each year than the Yankees?

Are Americans pulling for "the Yankees" if they support one of those clubs?

I'd say yes for Madrid, probably for Barca too. To me, it's the idea of pulling for whoever is winning the most at the time or the team that has the superstars that irks me about most United/Real fans in America. (That, and C. Ronaldo is a cunt.)

I am not saying that's you or anyone on here. Personally, I don't have any real connection to Arsenal, and only became an Arsenal fan because my rec team in high school were the Gunners. Otherwise, who knows what team I would have chosen to pull for?

It is only recently (as in the past few years) that I have actually been able to watch games on tv, and it is just luck that the team I chose as my "favorite" 20 years ago plays the brand of soccer I prefer. (The style of play is also why I would choose Barca as an alternative team, not because of their stars.)

Back