• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Totally Unofficial 2015/16 Premier League Thread (NWT)

strangely, i can't think of a time that has happened. and he lived there for quite a few years.

Penalty shout.

Much, much better penalty shout than the one that was actually given. Bad, bad refereeing.

Overchuffed.

God damn right. Carlton Cole scores within seconds of coming on. Overchuffed.

On the trot = in a row. Given the context of that sentence, I don't think it would have been hard for you to work it out.

On the trot = in a row. Given the context of that sentence, I don't think it would have been hard for you to work it out.

My context clues and what the idiom sounded like to me made me think "on the road" but oh whale.

Doesn't matter, I don't get bothered by your diction. I was just confused by this instance.

I can't see MOS DEFS moving here permanently, and Barca aren't known to sell 19-year olds just because there are players in front of him. Best case scenario is that we get him again next year and then Barca makes a decision when he's 20/21.

Also we got no monies Townie. That' s why we have to be prudent and buy JOZY! on the cheap when they get relegated and need to cut wages. I really do feel like he could plug into Martinez's system quite nicely. He's not the player Lukaku is, but at this point in their careers he's not a huge drop off either.

Plus I did this in my FIFA Career Mode back before my PS3 died, so it's gonna happen :thumbsup:

Everton will potentially have some Baines money burning a hold in their pocket, but will have a hard time spreading it around to replace Barry/Doof/Lukakkakakau

Isn't Barry's contract up this season or is it one more? If not I think we can get him rather cheaply from Citeh. I've heard that he wants to stay full-time.

I can't see MOS DEFS moving here permanently, and Barca aren't known to sell 19-year olds just because there are players in front of him. Best case scenario is that we get him again next year and then Barca makes a decision when he's 20/21.

Also we got no monies Townie. That' s why we have to be prudent and buy JOZY! on the cheap when they get relegated and need to cut wages. I really do feel like he could plug into Martinez's system quite nicely. He's not the player Lukaku is, but at this point in their careers he's not a huge drop off either.

There is a massive drop off from Lukaku to Jozy. You must be shrooming...

barry is so key to martinez's system, especially if baines is out and we go oviedo or GOD FORBID alcarez or the like

he's likely cheap though

we need strikers strikers strikers no matter what happens with lukaku/sexeulofeu

There is a massive drop off from Lukaku to Jozy. You must be shrooming...

At this point in their careers DV7. Lukaku is the better player but its not a huge drop off. Eventually Lukaku will be the second coming of Drogba, but he's not there yet. He can still be very inconsistent.

At this point in their careers DV7. Lukaku is the better player but its not a huge drop off. Eventually Lukaku will be the second coming of Drogba, but he's not there yet. He can still be very inconsistent.

not really; i'd say he's shockingly consistent for his age.

even in a match like the arsenal match where he was faced against good defenders like kos and mertesacker that positioned themselves well and took away his physical/height advantage, he still moves unbelievably well without the ball. his work rate is tremendous. his influence on the match is huge, even when not getting a ton of touches/shots. he spreads the field well, tracks back well, does basically everything well. he's leagues beyond jozy at this point.

not really; i'd say he's shockingly consistent for his age.

even in a match like the arsenal match where he was faced against good defenders like kos and mertesacker that positioned themselves well and took away his physical/height advantage, he still moves unbelievably well without the ball. his work rate is tremendous. his influence on the match is huge, even when not getting a ton of touches/shots. he spreads the field well, tracks back well, does basically everything well. he's leagues beyond jozy at this point.

You've watched more matches than I have, so I'll yield to your opinions. However the times I've seen him play he still makes a lot of ill advised decisions, such as taking low probability shots and making poor distribution decisions. That being said he's always running and puts himself in great positions to impact play, so its inevitable that he will make his share of mistakes. It actually reminds me a lot about how I feel about the way that Barkley plays.

As for JOZY!, yes he's an inferior player, but I really want to see him get a chance to play on an EPL team with just an average attack. He gets little-to-no distribution at Sunderland and I think he would thrive in an environment where he's playing as the lone target striker in a good attacking system.

Forgot about resigning Sanga. Definitely should be a priority.

You've watched more matches than I have, so I'll yield to your opinions. However the times I've seen him play he still makes a lot of ill advised decisions, such as taking low probability shots and making poor distribution decisions. That being said he's always running and puts himself in great positions to impact play, so its inevitable that he will make his share of mistakes. It actually reminds me a lot about how I feel about the way that Barkley plays.

As for JOZY!, yes he's an inferior player, but I really want to see him get a chance to play on an EPL team with just an average attack. He gets little-to-no distribution at Sunderland and I think he would thrive in an environment where he's playing as the lone target striker in a good attacking system.

In terms of Lukaku forcing shots or taking bad shots, part of that is definitely Martinez telling him to SHOOT SHOOT SHOOT like as often as he even gets close. The Deulofeu goal in the Arsenal game is a great example of a goal that was totally created from a player who created a chance out of nothing and has gotten loads and loads of (maybe ill-gotten?) confidence from Martinez.

And yea I think Jozy, like any developing striker, would greatly benefit from a system with better service. Hell, so would Lukaku.

Lukaku is 20 years old. In the season where he was 19/20 he scored 17 Premier League goals. In the season where he was 18/19 he scored just twice (in two games) in Belgium and zero in 8 games for Chelsea in the PL. In the season where he was 17/18 he scored 16 league goals in Belgium. In the season where he was 16/17 he scored 15 league goals in Belgium. To date, in this season, his 20/21 year old season he has scored 8 goals in 11 Premier League matches.

Altidore is 24 years old, he arrived in Europe when he was 18 years old. In the MLS prior to that he had scored 3 goals in 8 during his 18 y/o year, 9 in 22 during his 17 y/0 year, and 3 in 7 during his 16 y/o year. During his 18/19 season he scored 1 in 6 matches in La Liga. In the season where he was 19/20 he scored 1 Premier League goal in 28 matches. In the season where he was 20/21 he scored 0 La Liga goal in 3 matches and 1 goal in 12 Turkish league matches. (Years 21/22 he scored 15 and years 22/23 he scored 23, both years obviously in the Eredivisie. And in this year, Jozy's 23/24 year he has scored once in 12 matches in the PL.)

So at what point in Jozy's career has he not been a massive drop off from what Lukaku was doing at the same age? Maybe in his 17 year old year where he scored 9 in 22 in MLS while Lukaku scored 16 times in Belgium's top league (which, I admit is probably weaker than the MLS.) Or their 18/19 seasons where neither player did much with limited opportunities.

It is such a massive drop off that they shouldn't even be compared as players. Altidore has 2 goals in his entire time in the Premier League, that is over the time of 40 matches. A goal every 20 matches played. Lukaku, on the other hand, has scored 25 Premier League goals in 56 matches. A goal about every 2 and a quarter matches. You can try to explain that massive discrepancy away all you want on Jozy being at lesser clubs, but strikers have still scored for lesser clubs in the past at a far greater rate than Jozy has managed to do so far in his career. For instance, even the pretty bad Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink scored 3 goals for Hull the same season that Jozy managed only 1.

Last edited:
Back