• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Totally Unofficial 2017/18 Premier League Thread (NWT)

Where was your preseason prediction, deacman?

Or was that when you weren't really a city supporter?

It's hard to keep up with when you care.

United dropped so many points vs the weaker sides in the Prem last season because we didn't convert the many chances we created. Lukaku will finish those chances off as he is a flat track bully. Those points won will propel United to near the top of the table.

And the best GK in the league is at MUFC. That helps turn 2-2 draws into 2-1 wins.

This was in response to why folks expected Man U to improve this year. And I think it was damn logical when written, but proved not to be why they finished second, which was a big improvement. They finished second because Mourinho played things close to the vest and got points against top teams. And yet that ultimately cost them points against lesser teams and buried them in the standings vs. City. Namely, what proved odd was that they dropped 9 points to relegated teams this season. Lukaku finished on 16 goals. But his goals per minutes played for someone folks expected to be a top striker was more like that of an elite midfielder than an elite striker. I'd expect year two to be more productive for him.

Just to add to that - here's last seasons goal totals:

Tottenham - 86
Chelsea - 85
Man. City - 80
Liverpool - 78
Arsenal - 77
United - 54

United has to find 25 more goals, minimum. And it's not like that was a one off problem ... 15/16 United scored 49 goals. In 14/15 it was 62. In 13/14 it was 64. The reality is that the attackers currently at the club don't score goals, and haven't scored them in the past either. It's the worst attack of the top 6, and by a pretty substantial margin. Replacing Ibrahimovic with Lukaku improves it a little bit maybe, but United needs a lot more than a little bit. They need a massive improvement, and I just don't see where it's magically going to come from.

It's a title contending team in every area but the attack. They just won't score enough goals to keep up. I'll give them, generously, 70 goals this season. That gets them 3rd/4th with a stingy defense, but no higher.

They finished on 68 goals this year. And you're analysis as to why they couldn't challenge for the league appears to be spot on. Suspect their manager saw exactly what you saw and set them up to play close to the vest and lifted them to second. Also suspect we'll see a lot of changes at United this summer.

FWIW - I think City absolutely walks the league this year. They'll win it by 8+ points and never really be pushed down the stretch. They are just substantially better than any other team in the league. Maybe Spurs can push them a bit if they have Chelsea's luck from last season and literally have 0 injuries, but that seems highly unlikely (see: Trippier already).

City are going to score 90+ goals and just stroll to the title.

Again, prescient. I'd say you were the board savant this year. Well done.

deacman says “you losers think deacvision is an insufferable ass on the soccer thread? i’ll show you an insufferable ass!”

I like them both, fwiw. These threads are boring with the unique personalities. Don't take the internets so serious

They finished on 68 goals this year. And you're analysis as to why they couldn't challenge for the league appears to be spot on. Suspect their manager saw exactly what you saw and set them up to play close to the vest and lifted them to second. Also suspect we'll see a lot of changes at United this summer.
Give the devil his due, Mourinho did a fantastic job finishing 2nd on 81 points with this team. De Gea helped by playing absolutely out of his mind for the whole year, but it's very hard to argue anything other than the fact that Mourinho got every drop of possible results from that squad.

Give the devil his due, Mourinho did a fantastic job finishing 2nd on 81 points with this team. De Gea helped by playing absolutely out of his mind for the whole year, but it's very hard to argue anything other than the fact that Mourinho got every drop of possible results from that squad.

I take it that the argument is that had Mourinho played a more attacking, more open style, United might have scored more goals and been more entertaining but would have been likely to concede more often and drop more points?

Is there an argument that a team with Pogba, Mhki/Alexis, Rashford, Martial, Lukaku, etc. could have been better as whole with a manager that allowed them greater freedom to attack?

I take it that the argument is that had Mourinho played a more attacking, more open style, United might have scored more goals and been more entertaining but would have been likely to concede more often and drop more points?

Is there an argument that a team with Pogba, Mhki/Alexis, Rashford, Martial, Lukaku, etc. could have been better as whole with a manager that allowed them greater freedom to attack?
Maybe, but none of those guys have proven to work together in a good attack and the rest of the midfield is very limited, along with the fullbacks.

Mourinho has built excellent attacks before. I think he knows what he has and how limited it is, so he made a brutal grindy team that was pretty awful to watch but quite effective at getting points.

Dropped 9 points to relegated teams via 3 unacceptable losses

Got every drop? Hardly

Yes

I'm just happy to see that there are Man City fans outside of the Gallagher brothers

In related Daddy Warbucks news, rumors are flying that the Usmanov bro from Arsenal is going to sell his shares and partner with Moshiri (his former lieutenant) and make Everton Abrama-rich.

With the new stadium in the works, its the perfect time to get in.

Maybe, but none of those guys have proven to work together in a good attack and the rest of the midfield is very limited, along with the fullbacks.

Mourinho has built excellent attacks before. I think he knows what he has and how limited it is, so he made a brutal grindy team that was pretty awful to watch but quite effective at getting points.
Left back, ok

But Valencia is not a limited back. One of top 3 or 4 dynamic rightbacks in the Prem, I'd argue the 2nd best behind Walker (begrudgingly, but he was brilliant this season)

Back