• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Totally Unofficial 2018/19 Premier League Thread (NWT)

"Club officials say Koscielny played with a three-inch gash in his leg for the final part of the game, which got clamped together on the pitch when he was down for treatment."

:bowdown:

Chances were created just not finished.

The Xhaka goal was a misshit. An amazing misshit with venom, but he didn't mean to swerve it right to left like that, imo.
Soft penalty.

Oh well. Still only 2 back of 4th and 3 from 3rd with 8 to play. Quarterfinals of both the FA Cup and Champions League.

Would have taken this in a heartbeat back in mid December post Anfield.

Just not United's day today. It happens.

Yeah, the finishing was not great by anyone on United yesterday. If Lukaku scores that tap in early on to go up 1-0 then the game could have been quite different. But the run had to end at some point.

My current favorite player in the world. Good article on Raheem.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/11/sports/raheem-sterling-has-had-enough.html

nlq0qo.jpg

Looks like Zidane is going back to Madrid -- not sure if for just the rest of the season or more long-term. I guess with Madrid it doesn't really matter because the situation could change tomorrow, but probably takes Pochettino off the table in the summer.

Didn't realize that an Aresnal fan also is being charged with assault for coming on to the pitch and touching Smalling

Listened to the most recent Men In Blazer podcast from the Sloan Conference. It features Daryl Morey (Rockets GM) and the guy who created Stats Bomb. I think I might be IN on analytics being widely used in soccer. Morey's main points was the possession is overrated and that counter-attacking is to be preferred. They also talked about how set piece tactics are incredibly undervalued as well, and how a lot of Guardiola disciples barely even practice it, even though it contributes 20-30% of scoring.

Apparently the first English manager to embrace the power of analytics was Fat Sam, which is hilarious.

I liked Morey's hot take about passing back to the keeper being so destructive.

On the statsbomb pod where they talked about the same panel, they responded to Morey's complaints about lack of scoring in soccer by saying it's why stats nerds love talking about shots and xG, and about valuing other parts of the game.

Ted also talked about how much cross-sports stuff is applicable, how their set piece design is derived from principles from the Mike Leach spread system. How basketball and soccer have a ton of similarities in play design and movement. Good shit.

Also the stats validate the feeling that going to 3 in the back has failed Silva repeatedly. He's used it in 9% of game time this season, but they've conceded 16% of their season's goals during the same period. And in games where the system changed from 2 CB to 3 (three times), we've conceded every time in 18-19. Woof.

I liked Morey's hot take about passing back to the keeper being so destructive.

What was the gist of this? Just from watching games, it drives me crazy when a team is working the ball around in the attacking third only for the ball to end up back with their own keeper rather than at least getting the ball into the attacking box.

Morey sounded like someone who doesn’t watch the game at all on the Zach Lowe pod

Swansea up on City 2-0 at the half in the FA Cup qtrs.

The quint is on the line today! (Don’t disgrace the community shield by leaving it out)

Dreadful performance by United. Easily the worst of Ole's time in charge. And now the best chance for silverware is gone.

Two losses in a row now. Time to get the players refocused.

Was the ManU game the first time VAR has turned a red card into a yellow card?

Back