• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Totally Unofficial 2021/22 Premier League Thread (NWT)

This is fascinating to watch the two sides play this to the media. I haven't seen anything about whether players will be contract tied to those clubs who are leaving for the new tournament? I would imagine they have an out if competitions change. How many will choose to stay at clubs with no chance to represent their country. Could be a mass exodus from those big clubs - pretty big gamble by the superclubs.

I just don't see a world where all of the sudden, teams like Sevilla, Newcastle and Ajax are the world powers. This shit is all going to be resolved. I still think Bayern and PSG are joining this Superleague.

"I don't think the Super League will solve the financial problems of the european clubs that are caused by Corona."

I just don't see a world where all of the sudden, teams like Sevilla, Newcastle and Ajax are the world powers. This shit is all going to be resolved. I still think Bayern and PSG are joining this Superleague.

I saw someone claim that German law requires 51% of clubs be own by the community, so Dortmund and Bayern can’t join unless they get fan buy-in.

I saw someone claim that German law requires 51% of clubs be own by the community, so Dortmund and Bayern can’t join unless they get fan buy-in.

haha it's not a claim, it's written into the charter of the league

Believe it or not, Newcastle were twice a world power. In the mid-90s, they were twice consecutively runner-ups in the PL and bought the most expensive player in the world -- Shearer!

And Ajax are one of the biggest and most successful clubs in world history

I’m surprised that they’re not a part of this cartel

Believe it or not, Newcastle were twice a world power. In the mid-90s, they were twice consecutively runner-ups in the PL and bought the most expensive player in the world -- Shearer!

I know, and you've had some random La Liga runs from the likes of Deportivo and Villareal

And Ajax are one of the biggest and most successful clubs in world history

I’m surprised that they’re not a part of this cartel

Yeah Ajax and Lyon are basically the feeder teams of the world these days. but they clearly don't have the capital to keep their talent. I was reading on a Barca message board where Florentino originally proposed this in 2009, and if it had gone through then, which teams would be in it instead of some now. Like I don't think City or Spurs would be in, and you'd possibly have Lyon and maybe Valencia instead of Atletico.

I'm obviously not an expert in European laws, but it seems to me that FIFA attempting to ban individual players from participating in a (World Cup) tournament because of the decisions of the teams from whom they draw their regular paychecks will fail.

I'm obviously not an expert in European laws, but it seems to me that FIFA attempting to ban individual players from participating in a (World Cup) tournament because of the decisions of the teams from whom they draw their regular paychecks will fail.

Uhh why? It's their tournament, they make the rules. If that's the case then why can't Gareth Bale just choose to play for America if Wales never makes the world cup?

Yes, but that isn't going to stop groups from trying to create chaos for each other. The next several months are going to be really interesting. The reactions so far have been pretty scorched earth. The announcement by these clubs may just be a way to try and get leverage over UEFA's plans and negotiate with them.

Uhh why? It's their tournament, they make the rules. If that's the case then why can't Gareth Bale just choose to play for America if Wales never makes the world cup?

let's hear from the head of UEFA:

Earlier Ceferin was asked whether it is right for a player who might have signed with a club years ago to be banned from his national team if that club joins the breakaway. “Yeah, it’s an interesting question, and I think that this is one of the legal questions,” he said.

ok, so it's not necessarily settled legal opinion according to the man who would enforce the rule

Sure, I don't think they get "banned for life" day 1 when this becomes official. But I think they will have a timeframe to leave the club before the ban goes into effect.

Florentino Perez saying if the players are banned they'll create their own World Cup tournament. Ehhh, yeah - good luck with that. I wonder how many national teams they could field with the 12 announced club teams. England, France, Brazil, Spain, Italy? Portugal?

my prediction:

UEFA will cave
FIFA will cave
EPL will cave

all these clubs will play domestically, and their players will be allowed to play in whatever other tournaments they choose

my prediction:

UEFA will cave
FIFA will cave
EPL will cave

all these clubs will play domestically, and their players will be allowed to play in whatever other tournaments they choose

I believe in a variation of this where the super league doesn't happen, but rich clubs get a big $$$ concession out of these governing bodies to stay the current course

As expected, Ryan Mason and Chris Powell will caretaker co-manage Spurs for the near future.

Mason will become the youngest person to manage a PL side at only 29 fucking years old.

Back