• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Totally Unofficial 2023/24 Premier League Thread

I did not realize Xabi Alonso was managing Leverkusen. 2nd in the Bundesliga so far
Rumors in the last week that he’ll be taking over for Ancelotti at Real next year when Carlo goes to Brazil.

Leverkusen has definitely been fun since he took over.

Do you want to know how small a club Manchester City remain?

I didn't even realize they were knocked out of the Carabao Cup last night by Newcastle, even after Townie had his post about another Man United home draw had me look it up and see that the club were playing Newcastle...which defeated Manchester City, it turns out.

Yet, I cared about the Liverpool result yesterday. I never even once looked to see who Man City were playing, or how they were doing, in the CC Tuesday/yesterday.

Man City is a oil state's plaything. Not a proper club. They are whatever to me. DeacMan not really caring about them but being more anti-Manchester United is a perfect example of their "fanbase".

FSG get the outside investment they were looking for to clear some debt, apparently, and say they are still in it for the long haul. Damn, had I won one of those bil+ powerball jackpots I would have been all in on this. Could have let you guys in on some sweet sweet transfer rumors.

That's cool and all but have you tried being owned by leeches?

It's super fun....

Yes, in fact, within the last 15 years the leeches had the keys. It was not cool.

View attachment 5684
ugh
those dudes were awful.
America just has too much wealth if clueless idiots like that can buy and own a club. Example B: Malcolm Glazer and his feasibly inbred offspring.
And I know there are rich assholes everywhere, but when it comes to Premier League football, the rich assholes seems to gravitate to England from America.

Anyway, I have been so impressed by Hannibal the last couple of matches, and not just because his name matches one of my favorite people in history, but he has looked great and belonging of being a Manchester United player.

But even with that said, these numbers blew me away. Hannibal is DOING WORK!

Hannibal Mejbri's record-breaking running and pressing stats for Man Utd show the way forward for Erik ten Hag​

"At Turf Moor, the Tunisia international covered more ground than any other player on the pitch, running 12.9 kilometres.

"No surprise there, perhaps. But Mejbri also ran further than any United player this season. Further than any United player since Ten Hag arrived at the club. Further than any United player since they began collecting these records in 2019."

WUT WUT WUT
But he's not done...

And, as I love to say, the crowd loves a trier. haha

He was perpetual motion but his running was targeted, providing the pressing that Ten Hag demands. He closed down straight from the kick-off and registered four more pressures, as defined by the Second Spectrum data, in the second minute alone.
By the end, there had been 104 of them, the most by any player in a Premier League game this season. Factor in his cameo against Brighton and Mejbri is averaging 100 pressures per 90 minutes - the next man on the list is Rasmus Hojlund with 79.

Completely unsustainable but WEEEEEEEEEEEE!

1695912942391.jpeg

Second Spectrum log the number of sprinting pressures - those where the presser reaches a sustained speed in excess of 25 kilometres per hour.
1695912997934.jpeg

Plus, he's got that flow.

And his passing technique and first touch are very good too.
He may be becoming an automatic starter for United. Time will tell.

Also gotta say that I was extremely skeptical that anyone other than Trent AA could do this weird right back thing, and I still am long-term, but both Gomez and Jones have been excellent there the last two matches. Jones particularly last night flexed into that role way more comfortably than Trent, even, I thought, not that he has the same playmaking ability, but he's still more natural receiving the ball in those areas, a thing which has cost Liverpool two goals directly from AA errors. Gomez had a couple surges right through the gut last weekend, too, and played some nice shit -- I was pleasantly surprised.

Trent AA should be back this weekend, and Gomez apparently wasn't 100% which was why he wasn't in there yesterday, but feeling a little better about that after the last two outings, even though it's still not my favorite thing.

Antony is going to return to training and be available for selection after speaking to Manchester police. Not sure about this one...I don't see what has changed in the 2-3 weeks since he was virtually suspended.

Licha Martinez has been ruled out for 2-3 months after re-aggravating his foot injury vs Arsenal. Good thing United singed Ballon d'Or contender Jonny Evans this off-season.

Mitoma is having a nightmare out there today
Nothing he is trying is coming off right

Two hattricks already this season for Ollie Watkins. That's pretty good form...

Do you want to know how small a club Manchester City remain?

I didn't even realize they were knocked out of the Carabao Cup last night by Newcastle, even after Townie had his post about another Man United home draw had me look it up and see that the club were playing Newcastle...which defeated Manchester City, it turns out.

Yet, I cared about the Liverpool result yesterday. I never even once looked to see who Man City were playing, or how they were doing, in the CC Tuesday/yesterday.

Man City is a oil state's plaything. Not a proper club. They are whatever to me. DeacMan not really caring about them but being more anti-Manchester United is a perfect example of their "fanbase".
Cool annecdote. Just remember how this all works. Only certain clubs win trophies.

Back