• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Totally Unofficial 2023/24 Premier League Thread

I think the blurb was referring to this, so you can see the methodology and what was and wasn’t considered (and I'm still not totally sure how they get to their end + number). By their methodology, Liverpool were joint 2nd in “benefitting” from interventions from decisions only from 22/23 and it was almost all offsides related automatically triggered ones, not VAR initiated.

So, for instance, VAR not intervening for the Mac Allister red earlier this year despite it being so wrong that it was unprecedentedly overturned, would not even be considered in a tally like this. Just to give some context.

Here is this season’s running tally.

Last edited:
I don't think there's bias on the field or from the VAR.
Nor do I. Despite repeatedly being told I suck over the past few days on this thread, I've only really complained about officiating against Liverpool over a red card to Mac (overturned) and for the Spurs game which had no less than 10 questionable, incorrect, crazy calls/no calls. Apparently in the eyes of some, this amounts to raging for 10+ years.

I did make an admittedly hard to 'get' joke in frustration that City had paid the refs off against us in the Spurs game. But it was mostly in Jest.

Admittedly, though @Gooner has me thinking now... :) Sorry. There I go again.... I'll stop making smart ass jokes you guys can't get a read on in text.

Nor do I. Despite repeatedly being told I suck over the past few days on this thread, I've only really complained about officiating against Liverpool over a red card to Mac (overturned) and for the Spurs game which had no less than 10 questionable, incorrect, crazy calls/no calls. Apparently in the eyes of some, this amounts to raging for 10+ years.

I did make an admittedly hard to 'get' joke in frustration that City had paid the refs off against us in the Spurs game. But it was mostly in Jest.

Admittedly, though @Gooner has me thinking now... :) Sorry. There I go again.... I'll stop making smart ass jokes you guys can't get a read on in text.
All I'm here for is the "Makes you think!" conversations

bunch of idiots

It is so bad and just what I thought. Nobody had the wherewithal to simply ask the on-field official what the on-field decision, nor to say "check complete, good goal". Insanity.

It is so bad and just what I thought. Nobody had the wherewithal to simply ask the on-field official what the on-field decision, nor to say "check complete, good goal". Insanity.
Can you imagine if you are I fucked up that badly at our jobs on a monthly basis?

But these clowns just keep on, keepin' on

I'm still totally baffled as to how he thought the on field decision was a goal. That communication from on-field was actually more clear than I expected it to be, it was needlessly rushed. So ridiculous.

And with the PGMOL guy (Oli) saying delay and VAR just saying "nah, can't do anything." Someone in authority was actually telling him to delay.

VAR: "Possible offside Diaz"
Assistant: "Coming back for the offside, mate."
VAR: "Just checking the offside, delay delay."

Not putting the image/lines up in this particular instance for confirmation is also just totally inexcusable. It was close enough that either way there should have been clarity on that.

I guess my problem is reducing it to a mistake. Not that it was intentional, but that it was negligent, which I think might rise above innocent mistake/stupidity/heat of the moment. I don't know if that's a distinction that matters, but it kind of does in my head.

I think England is the main culprit here, but yeah, Hooper not also saying something like "so check complete, no goal for offside." I'm not convinced this wasn't already the protocol or an emphasized point especially in light of them releasing some audio this season (other comms have been way more clear), I think they may have just been lazy and ignored it, so also a larger issue with that.

Even if you think there's nothing you can do after it's restarted (which I don't think is a law of the game, just their own VAR protocol), to also not ask for the pause to make sure there is no recourse when someone is suggesting just that, I just find completely inexcusable.

Shit show.

Whatever. Move on and hope this improves things, I guess.

Not putting the image/lines up in this particular instance for confirmation is also just totally inexcusable. It was close enough that either way there should have been clarity on that.

I guess my problem is reducing it to a mistake. Not that it was intentional, but that it was negligent, which I think might rise above innocent mistake/stupidity/heat of the moment. I don't know if that's a distinction that matters, but it kind of does in my head.

I think England is the main culprit here, but yeah, Hooper not also saying something like "so check complete, no goal for offside." I'm not convinced this wasn't already the protocol or an emphasized point especially in light of them releasing some audio this season (other comms have been way more clear), I think they may have just been lazy and ignored it, so also a larger issue with that.

Even if you think there's nothing you can do after it's restarted (which I don't think is a law of the game, just their own VAR protocol), to also not ask for the pause to make sure there is no recourse when someone is suggesting just that, I just find completely inexcusable.

Shit show.

Whatever. Move on and hope this improves things, I guess.
I know I'm repeating myself but there are two unbelievably incompetent moments in this process.

First, that England didn't understand what the call was on the field is shockingly poor for someone paid to be the VAR for the game. And second, his inability or unwillingness to act once informed of the mistake just 1-2 seconds after the restart, is again just wild.

I feel for the guy because the scrutiny he's under from this incident will follow him for a long time, but you have to wonder whether he's in the wrong line of work.

Back