• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Totally Unofficial 2023/24 Premier League Thread

OK, I'm done until tomorrow when I'm about 25% sure United is going to lose to Newport.

Dammit. One last thing I felt I had to say before really going for the night.

While I may always be a dick towards Liverpool FC (and long may that continue given what I KNOW about that club's history) I sincerely believe the only poster on these boards that I've ever been a dick towards personally about football is BTB and that is for one reason and one reason alone. I've been harsh about a difference of opinions but I've never attacked, as far as I can remember, a person with my typed out words. And if you can't handle somebody telling you that you're a 'fucking moron' for thinking something about sports, then you're a fucking moron about human interactions. Back to BTB....

He used to support Fulham and then up and decided that he supports Liverpool now (once they started showing signs of promise - I feel like this was 2017ish, iirc - it was before my daughter was born for sure - BTB please correct me if I'm wrong!).

And, in my honest opinion, some flopping like that on which club you support deserves some personal ribbing for decades. What is to say that BTB won't up and decide that Man City isn't his club in 3 years if they win another couple Trebles? I don't know what BTB will do then if Man City continue to be so good and so dominant. Does BTB even know?
That said, I feel like BTB is even in on the ribbing now and does some self-deprication about it so fair play to him.

Eric Cantona : "You can change your wife, your politics, your religion, but never, never can you change your favourite football team."

OK, see you tomorrow when Man United will possibly disappoint me yet again!

And stop being a little wussy, Windy. For fuck's sake, you suck so much right now.

chug-a-lug
Yep. I drank last night. I guess I didn't realize we live in a puritan community.

My point stands, however. You judge others but never put your own opinions forward.

Weird way to be, my guy. In my opinion, of course.

Norwich winning today will literally make my weekend amazing. I would laugh so much.

Let's go small yellow birds!

Newport winning today would also make me laugh. But only as a defense mechanism to not allow me to cry.

LFC XI: Alisson; Bradley, Konate, Quansah, Gomez; McConnell, Gravenberch, Jones; Gakpo, Jota, Nunez

Hopefully we get good Gravenberch today!

Really like Quansah, btw, I think he's a real talent.

I'll likely hate his face in a few years but right now he's fun to watch. Really sharp instincts/positioning and knows when to put a foot in. Top prospect.

Daryl Dike picked up an injury in training before the FA Cup match today. Of course he did. Just turned the match on and it sounds there were fisticuffs in the stands that spilled out onto the pitch. Game is under delay.

I stand corrected. Regardless, I’ve really enjoyed the largely unimportant Liverpool over the past 8 seasons! On to the soccer.

Dammit. One last thing I felt I had to say before really going for the night.

While I may always be a dick towards Liverpool FC (and long may that continue given what I KNOW about that club's history) I sincerely believe the only poster on these boards that I've ever been a dick towards personally about football is BTB and that is for one reason and one reason alone. I've been harsh about a difference of opinions but I've never attacked, as far as I can remember, a person with my typed out words. And if you can't handle somebody telling you that you're a 'fucking moron' for thinking something about sports, then you're a fucking moron about human interactions. Back to BTB....

He used to support Fulham and then up and decided that he supports Liverpool now (once they started showing signs of promise - I feel like this was 2017ish, iirc - it was before my daughter was born for sure - BTB please correct me if I'm wrong!).

And, in my honest opinion, some flopping like that on which club you support deserves some personal ribbing for decades. What is to say that BTB won't up and decide that Man City isn't his club in 3 years if they win another couple Trebles? I don't know what BTB will do then if Man City continue to be so good and so dominant. Does BTB even know?
That said, I feel like BTB is even in on the ribbing now and does some self-deprication about it so fair play to him.

Eric Cantona : "You can change your wife, your politics, your religion, but never, never can you change your favourite football team."

OK, see you tomorrow when Man United will possibly disappoint me yet again!

And stop being a little wussy, Windy. For fuck's sake, you suck so much right now.
A few thoughts:

First, I have no problem with DV7 giving me shit about supporting Liverpool. I don't find it to be mean spirited and it is true that I changed allegiance in real time while participating on this board. Fire away. It hardly makes my support for the team any less meaningful to me.

Second, my change to Liverpool was not a bandwagon thing at all. I started supporting the team at a time when they were regularly finishing between 6th and 8th. I've gone through the reasons for the change in the past and I'm happy to discuss if anyone is actually interested but if my change was about joining a bandwagon, I would have chosen United, Chelsea or City which were the teams winning the league at that time. Does anyone, including DV7, really believe that I'm likely to abandon Liverpool any time in the future?

Third, my support for Fulham was razor thin and almost entirely about the Americans on the team (one of whom - Brian McBride - I played against in high school and attended a week long soccer camp with at Illinois State University). Like many Americans, I was a USMNT fan almost exclusively because for so long we didn't have the premier league available on American TV. As it became available, I was drawn to the Americans who were almost all playing at Fulham. As those players cycled out, my interest in the team waned.

Back