• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Totally Unofficial 2023/24 Premier League Thread

I literally explained my exact point I was making to refute your claim.

We have 4 seasons of data since Arsenal signed him.

Pepe's 2018/219 season for Lille WAS a fluke season.

Still better non penalty xG+xA per 90 numbers than like 80% of Europe. A lovely, direct dribbler too. They overpaid but he was also misused.
This is the biggest issue and why I will never blame Pepe for what happened during his tenure at Arsenal. The best system for him is a counterattacking team that builds very quickly and gets wingers out in space. Emery played a possession-based 4-2-3-1 that required wingers to start deeper and participate heavily in the buildup, not Pepe's strengths as a dribbler and finisher. Arteta's system demanded even more from wingers to assist in the buildup from the back + Saka broke through in Pepe's preferred position. It was poor team-building strategy (which I would point out Sanllehi was fired for) and horrendous timing. COVID hitting in 2019-20 when Pepe was actually starting to figure it out a little bit did not help matters either.

We have 4 seasons of data since Arsenal signed him.

Pepe's 2018/219 season for Lille WAS a fluke season.
That's not what your original argument was so don't try to change it now.

That's not what your original argument was so don't try to change it now.
You mean that Arsenal made a risky signing that didn't work out because the player wasn't proven and that they overpaid? Just like I think United are about to do for Hojlund

Yea, I really missed it with that argument, huh?

I hate when you pull me into arguments like these because you twist words and statements better than anyone this side of Ph. You know that's not what your argument was but I won't continue down this rabbit hole with you.

Last edited:
1689703442145.png

This is a very good player man, idk what you want

I find it amusing that they laid down real grass over UNC's fake turf at Kenan for the Chelsea-Wrexham game this Wednesday. Seems like a waste of money to me...

Been some rumblings the last two days about one of the state owned Saudi clubs (so not Gerrard's poverty Al-Ettifaq) being interested in Luis Diaz. All the right people saying L'pool won't sell, but just reading between the lines it still worries me. It's like, they won't even consider bids below 90 mil (hint, hint, nudge, nudge) rather than just completely quashing it. Makes me a little #nervous. Like, it shouldn't even get to click bait status -- that kind of makes me think there's more than zero to it, which is too much.

ooohh Matej Kovar starts in between the posts for United against Lyon today. I think he could make a strong case to be Onana's primary backup for the upcoming season. Good with his feet and very good shot stopper. Will be interesting to see how he does in commanding Varane and Licha in front of him. If he isn't afraid to bark out orders to those senior world-class center backs then United may have something in Kovar...

First Liverpool preseason match is this afternoon vs. Karlsruher. Interested to see the new guys and if they are inverting Trent AA still and who's starting next to him. Guessing it will be Henderson as he is currently the only one fit with any experience there, which is concerning since he was half out the door a week ago. Thiago and Bajcetic are still rehabbing, Curtis Jones and Harv Elliott join the group tomorrow, I think.

So midfield right now is Henderson, Mac Allister, Szoboszlai, (sort of) Trent, and youth. Lot of work to be done.

Should probably be 3-0 except for some poor finishing by United in the first 12 or so minutes. All over them in pressing and Lyon can barely get the ball across the halfway line. Antony, Amad, and Mount/Sancho the culprits on the poor finishing/final ball in the attacking area

Woof, a front three of Antony, Amad and Sancho is rife with poor finishing. Lots of skill there, but not a lot of goals.

New midfield list dropped from Andy Jones at the Athletic, which is the same as the last list (Lavia, Cheick Doucoure, Amrabat, K Phillips, Gravenberch) with one new name: Boubacar Kamara at Villa.

Think they need two now for sure, and though ideally I'd like a little more experience, I'd go Lavia and Doucoure, with Kamara as the alternative. Just pay and get it done. 19 & 23, Prem experience for both, Lavia will count as homegrown when he ages out as a U-21, Doucoure was Palace fans' player of the year -- just not feeling the others, though I'll take bodies at this point. Don't get cute with it.

If any of these dudes have release clauses it will be that guy, though. Liverpool love a release clause.

Jonny Evans on for Man United. hahahaha never thought I would say that again.

PUT HIM IN A BODY BAG, JONNY

evans-kick.gif

drogbafit.gif

Drogba was booked. hahahahhaha

Donny scores on a great volley! 1-0 United. Wonderful cross by the youngster Dan Gore as well. Very impressive.

What a player, that Donny. Some other club should definitely sign him!

Back