• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Totally Unofficial 2023/24 Premier League Thread

Soccer has a grid game now

I'm not arguing what is going on with Mbappe is unethical or wrong, it's just dramatic. When you're talking this amount of money associated with him and his stature, it tends to be. Although even if it's in his rights, it's a little shady -- to me -- to say you're not going to extend but that you want to stay the last year when you're going to get a loyalty bonus on Aug. 1, then an insane signing on fee wherever you next end up. All part of the game, but it's just extra noise that I think doesn't go unnoticed by the fans or other players. If he doesn't want to be there anymore, work something out to go.

There is just drama -- it's not just about what Mbappe may or may not be doing, although I don't think he is being a passive character in all this, it's just all the noise you're going to get when he's around. There is drama during the year about what position he's playing, there is drama during the season about his thoughts on the other players and the coach.

I have no sympathy for PSG, they can disappear for all I care and they made their bed by giving him all the leverage; it's just with someone of Mbappe's stature now there is a strong chance it will always be about him, and he has demonstrated he doesn't mind throwing a grenade to get his way. Nor has he shown that he has any intention of not making it about himself wherever he goes. Which many players do, but with the money around Mbappe, the scale is a little larger.

But yeah, he's within his rights. At some point it is just diminishing returns on what you want to put up with as a club. Madrid can probably handle it, but almost any other club I think would have to think about it.

And that's all I'm saying -- it's gotten to a point where I'd have to think about it. Just not a no-brainer for me anymore, despite the obvious talent: he doesn't guarantee you a Champions League or World Cup -- think we've seen no one player does -- so what does it mean to the whole operation to take him on.

in my short viewing/follwing experience, is it fair to say that Personnel "fit" may be as important to soccer as to any sport out there? Seems like chemistry and fit is as important or maybe even more important than raw talent

Or am i making all that up?

Soccer has a grid game now

never played it before but did this one

kinda lame how it takes away a guess for a player that qualifies for the square but isn't the one they were thinking of (I said Silvestre first -- is it only current players?). Also, Ivan Perisic is on there twice so I lost 2 guesses putting him in there because I clicked the wrong one the first try. that was lame.

Crossover Grid #1 ⚽️ @CrossoverGridFC 7 / 9:

⬜️ 🟩 🟩
🟩 🟩 ⬜️
🟩 🟩 🟩

So many players could fit into the right-middle one. French players that played for Barca? hahaha dozens of them.

Watched the full Liverpool/Greuther Furth friendly and while none of my worries about the set up were allayed, I will say the four senior attackers not Salah have all looked pretty sharp so far (and Salah has looked ok, although I'm still worried about his shooting) and seem like they're up for the competition for places. All five have scored already, and if you have five guys that could potentially get double digits with now some actual goal threats also from midfield, that can balance the lack (to this point) of much solidity. Still just some kind of alarming gaps when they give the ball away.

Both Matip and Gomez look done, though, and Adrian should probably never play again.

US U-17 striker Keyrol Figueroa (former Honduran international Maynor's son) with a screamer for Liverpool in a youth friendly yesterday.

I'm not arguing what is going on with Mbappe is unethical or wrong, it's just dramatic. When you're talking this amount of money associated with him and his stature, it tends to be. Although even if it's in his rights, it's a little shady -- to me -- to say you're not going to extend but that you want to stay the last year when you're going to get a loyalty bonus on Aug. 1, then an insane signing on fee wherever you next end up. All part of the game, but it's just extra noise that I think doesn't go unnoticed by the fans or other players. If he doesn't want to be there anymore, work something out to go.

There is just drama -- it's not just about what Mbappe may or may not be doing, although I don't think he is being a passive character in all this, it's just all the noise you're going to get when he's around. There is drama during the year about what position he's playing, there is drama during the season about his thoughts on the other players and the coach.

I have no sympathy for PSG, they can disappear for all I care and they made their bed by giving him all the leverage; it's just with someone of Mbappe's stature now there is a strong chance it will always be about him, and he has demonstrated he doesn't mind throwing a grenade to get his way. Nor has he shown that he has any intention of not making it about himself wherever he goes. Which many players do, but with the money around Mbappe, the scale is a little larger.

But yeah, he's within his rights. At some point it is just diminishing returns on what you want to put up with as a club. Madrid can probably handle it, but almost any other club I think would have to think about it.

And that's all I'm saying -- it's gotten to a point where I'd have to think about it. Just not a no-brainer for me anymore, despite the obvious talent: he doesn't guarantee you a Champions League or World Cup -- think we've seen no one player does -- so what does it mean to the whole operation to take him on.
I'm with dv7 (I'm as shocked as you) on this, there's nothing shady or dramatic about Mbappe doing everything according to his contract. If he feels PSG is no longer the best club to continue his career and he has a one year out, I'm proud of him for taking control of the situation himself.

Also I agree with dv7 again (therapy scheduled for later this week), it is the biggest no-brainer of all time that if you had the opportunity to get Mbappe, you go for it.

never played it before but did this one

kinda lame how it takes away a guess for a player that qualifies for the square but isn't the one they were thinking of (I said Silvestre first -- is it only current players?). Also, Ivan Perisic is on there twice so I lost 2 guesses putting him in there because I clicked the wrong one the first try. that was lame.

Crossover Grid #1 ⚽️ @CrossoverGridFC 7 / 9:

⬜️ 🟩 🟩
🟩 🟩 ⬜️
🟩 🟩 🟩

So many players could fit into the right-middle one. French players that played for Barca? hahaha dozens of them.
Crossover Grid #1 ⚽️ @CrossoverGridFC 8 / 9:

🟩 🟩 🟩
🟩 🟩 🟩
⬜️ 🟩 🟩

This was fun. I'm probably missing a very obvious one for Bayern/Inter.

I'm with dv7 (I'm as shocked as you) on this, there's nothing shady or dramatic about Mbappe doing everything according to his contract. If he feels PSG is no longer the best club to continue his career and he has a one year out, I'm proud of him for taking control of the situation himself.

Also I agree with dv7 again (therapy scheduled for later this week), it is the biggest no-brainer of all time that if you had the opportunity to get Mbappe, you go for it.

want-to-kiss-me-hug-me.gif

Anfield Rd. end expansion hit a delay, so new stand won't be open until October, after the first international break. Reduced capacity of 51k until then, which is a bit of a bummer.

Big Lavia push from Liverpool, apparently. Thinking this gets done now, but can't be the only one. Really promising player, though. Tough to keep your head at 19 playing in a dog shit team in the toughest league in the world cycling through three managers. Lot of cash for potential, though, whether it gets done at 40+5 or 45+5 or whatever in between.

in my short viewing/follwing experience, is it fair to say that Personnel "fit" may be as important to soccer as to any sport out there? Seems like chemistry and fit is as important or maybe even more important than raw talent

Or am i making all that up?
Its important to all sports. Some "fit" issues have been resolved with a change of scenery (randy moss and corey dillon to the Pats), others seem to have that stigma follow them around the league (kyrie irving).

I haven't followed Mbappe that closely, but soccer players have very little leverage at times, especially when on long term contracts or have obscene release clauses. Mbappe is playing the only hand he has: don't sign an extension if he wants to move to another club. Its PSG that is not playing him, and not his choice. PSG can huff and puff as much as they want about no player being bigger than the club, but at the end of the day, its the players that win championships, puts butts in the seats, and are the public face of the club.

PSG are acting like Mbappe will be the first ever player to run down a contract in the history of football

clearly run by people that haven't been told 'no' very often in their lives... the big babies

PSG are acting like Mbappe will be the first ever player to run down a contract in the history of football

clearly run by people that haven't been told 'no' very often in their lives... the big babies
PSG always reminded me of the spurned girlfriend from high school... when you were together everything was great, but once you broke up, they made your life miserable.

Back