• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tough loss

Amazing what can happen when you get rid of the head cases. Team played hard tonight.

With the short rotation, I will expect this team to get pretty gassed in February.

That being said, I am looking forward to watching every game.

Starting?

Yes, starting. There's only been four games so far, three of which were against really bad teams. And he wasn't anything special in the first game. But if you've been on the Chase bandwagon since day one kudos to you.

I was very disappointed that we didn't seem to have a specific go-to play on the final possession. Tony and Travis are not nearly as good as going to the basket as they think they are. On that point, 7 shots is very poor for how many minutes Fischer played tonight. No doubt Tony's 0 assists was related to that. He had a good game as a SG, but not as a PG. We really need good PG play to get the ball to Fischer where he needs it and to get any kind of real post scoring. By the way, Fields managed to get 4 assists in half of Tony's minutes. At some point, Bz is going to have to decide which type of player he needs more to play with CJ and Fischer.

Overall it was a good effort. No question this team lacks talent in a major way across the board. Still there are things that definitely be fixed that could help overcome talent deficiencies. I still haven't seen coaching overcome the lack of talent. And if you subscribe to the philosophy that the beginning of the game and beginning of the 1st half are the best indicators of coaching...ugh.

It seems like most of us came out of the game with the same thoughts tonight.

First, kudos to Buzz. The jury is still way out, but we did appear to be much improved from last year as a "team"

The Deacs will be more fun to watch, but this year is still going to be a struggle. We have almost nothing at the 4/5 on the offensive OR defensive end. Consequently we are going to have a difficult time 1) getting easy baskets inside 2) giving up easy baskets inside and 3) rebounding. That's a bad combo for long term success this year (with little that Buzz can do).

Travis and CJ will carry this team to any success it may have. Chase seems to be a nice complementary player. Reminds me a lot of Craig Dawson in his game. Tony seems to be showing progress too.

I really wish Tony Woods was still around. No, I don't think he's that good. But he would have given us a big, physical presence inside that would man up on D and rebound, which is by far and away this teams biggest weakness right now. Watching Carson tonight was painful.

I was very disappointed that we didn't seem to have a specific go-to play on the final possession. Tony and Travis are not nearly as good as going to the basket as they think they are. On that point, 7 shots is very poor for how many minutes Fischer played tonight. No doubt Tony's 0 assists was related to that. He had a good game as a SG, but not as a PG. We really need good PG play to get the ball to Fischer where he needs it and to get any kind of real post scoring. By the way, Fields managed to get 4 assists in half of Tony's minutes. At some point, Bz is going to have to decide which type of player he needs more to play with CJ and Fischer.

Overall it was a good effort. No question this team lacks talent in a major way across the board. Still there are things that definitely be fixed that could help overcome talent deficiencies. I still haven't seen coaching overcome the lack of talent. And if you subscribe to the philosophy that the beginning of the game and beginning of the 1st half are the best indicators of coaching...ugh.

New rule: TC is not allowed to shoot from outside of 5 feet unless there is less than 2 seconds on the shot clock. The possession where he ended up pulling up from just inside the three point line with 10 seconds left on the shot clock was just brutal.

I agree with most of above, though I would assume that the "play" in the last couple of possessions was to run the normal offense; however, it looked like the players reverted back to the old stand around and watch one guy try and go one-on-one.

At the same time, after we looked lost at the start of each half the coach called the time out and the issue was fixed. The game could have easily gotten away from us at the start of both halves, but whatever the staff told them in each timeout seemed to fix the problem.

Right now, based on what I've seen so far, I want the #1 option at the end of the game to be CJ. He can make a jump shot or more importantly drive the lane and get fouled (this is what made Childress such a killer as he'd drive the lane get fouled and make his foul shots).

My second choice, until proven differently, would be to get Chase an open shot.

I'm not confident in Tony's shot selection, ability to finish or make pressure foul shots.

Travis should be focused on any rebound opportunities on a miss for a put back.

I wouldn't let Nikita, Carson or Green touch the ball on a last shot. The only way they touch it is on a rebound.

At the same time, after we looked lost at the start of each half the coach called the time out and the issue was fixed. The game could have easily gotten away from us at the start of both halves, but whatever the staff told them in each timeout seemed to fix the problem.Right now, based on what I've seen so far, I want the #1 option at the end of the game to be CJ. He can make a jump shot or more importantly drive the lane and get fouled (this is what made Childress such a killer as he'd drive the lane get fouled and make his foul shots).

My second choice, until proven differently, would be to get Chase an open shot.

I'm not confident in Tony's shot selection, ability to finish or make pressure foul shots.
Travis should be focused on any rebound opportunities on a miss for a put back.

I wouldn't let Nikita, Carson or Green touch the ball on a last shot. The only way they touch it is on a rebound.

Truth throughout.

We're really starting to look like a team now, and we didn't fold when Dayton had us down by 7 in the 2nd. Color me pleased. Let's keep the faith in ol' Buzz for just a little while longer, eh? :)

Jeez, zero assists in 27 minutes for TC? That's not good. I was impressed with his scoring ability, though.

Enough has been said about Carson. I still have hope that the light bulb will go off for him.

Props to Nikita. He'll never be great, but he was not a liability last night and made some positive contributions.

And obviously, props to the two guys who carry our team every night.

I dont usually talk shit about our own players but Carson is really terrible. I did not see one positive out of him tonight, nor have I seen a lick of progress in his game since last year. Gonna be a long year in the paint unless Ty comes back with an entirely new mindset.

Carson does not suck. He's being asked, and we need him to do things that just aren't his strengths. I think he is also getting tired and losing his legs in the second half.

I am waiting to see the kind of play from TC that made him player of the year in Philly his sr year in HS. Apparently it wasn't his shooting ability.

I am waiting to see the kind of play from TC that made him player of the year in Philly his sr year in HS. Apparently it wasn't his shooting ability.

Nor his point guard play, as he played the 2 in high school.

Last night's game was a pretty good illustration of his game -- he's tough and physical and willing to bull his way to the basket and mix it up in the paint.

Per post game addressing Tony going 1:1 - "play call was Fischer off a screen, when that wasn't open we forgot about options 2, 3, and 4".

I don't know of Travis 1:1 was last play call but clearly on the previous possession we were going to run a play - have to execute better.

Back