• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tour Championship

Yeah, think about how many times you saw Furyk make the putt with the backwards cap and multiply that by 5.
His shoes?? Did he change shoes or socks (right foot) after that shot, or play 18 in a shoe full of water? Had to be a distraction.

I have not been able to watch Bill enough to know, but was he playing exceptionally fast in the play-off or does he always play at that pace?

Becoming too quick is usually a tenancy under pressure, so I was fearful that he was pulling the trigger too quickly. Apparently not.

Bill was playing a bit faster than usual, looked very twitchy as he set up for his irons and driver and even fumbled and dropped his club before teeing off on 18 the first time. He looked scared and like he was ready to puke the whole playoff- at least when he was on the tee box.
Somehow he was able to bear down like a champ on all the shorter ones and pull off one for the ages. That was fantastic to watch.

Bill was playing a bit faster than usual, looked very twitchy as he set up for his irons and driver and even fumbled and dropped his club before teeing off on 18 the first time. He looked scared and like he was ready to puke the whole playoff- at least when he was on the tee box.
Somehow he was able to bear down like a champ on all the shorter ones and pull off one for the ages. That was fantastic to watch.

That was my impression. Which, if true, makes his up and downs on the first 2 play-off holes even more amazing...especially his putt on 18 on the first hole of the play-off.

He was pretty candid in his press conference afterwards talking about battling his nerves. He mentioned it's been an ongoing battle for him and that he is still learning how to execute in those high pressure situations. He talked about guys like Tiger and Phil making it look easy but in reality your hands do start to shake, etc., and how difficult it really is. Really thrilled for him to pull it out yesterday.

I couldn't believe how quickly he hit some of his shots in the playoff.

He was pretty candid in his press conference afterwards talking about battling his nerves. He mentioned it's been an ongoing battle for him and that he is still learning how to execute in those high pressure situations. He talked about guys like Tiger and Phil making it look easy but in reality your hands do start to shake, etc., and how difficult it really is. Really thrilled for him to pull it out yesterday.

I couldn't believe how quickly he hit some of his shots in the playoff.

Even Tiger gets nervous. I think winning yesterday pretty much taught Bill he's got what it takes. He's only going to get better. He's got a pretty good life coach in his dad too. But when you're nervous it's not all bad to get up their and hit it and let your instincts take over. That's what he did with the water shot. No taking the shoe off... twenty some practice swings like JB Holmes would show you. Get up there like Trevino and let it go. Pretty good recipe for success.

Complaints about Webb's slow play last week, followed by questions about Bill's quick play this week.

I like that he plays fast. He has gotten a lot of good press for it too, and deservedly so. Taking more time only makes you think about it more, which allows your nerves to take over. Golf shouldn't take more than 4 hours.

Complaints about Webb's slow play last week, followed by questions about Bill's quick play this week.

Webb is slow. Let's be honest. I like Bill being deliberate. Just get it done. Worked great for Trevino.

Bill always plays fast. The worse he plays, the faster he plays. Bill's biggest problem is he can get incredibly negative on the course if things arent going right. You heard Jay allude to it Sunday "you'd have thought he was the worst player in Georgia after Saturday" and he tends to give up on rounds quickly because of his negativity. Really glad to see him hang in and grind for once. Top 5 player on Tour on pure ability.

Good article. Haas gets a lot of compliments about his quick pace of play. It really does make the game more fun to watch I think.

Bill always plays fast. The worse he plays, the faster he plays. Bill's biggest problem is he can get incredibly negative on the course if things arent going right. You heard Jay allude to it Sunday "you'd have thought he was the worst player in Georgia after Saturday" and he tends to give up on rounds quickly because of his negativity. Really glad to see him hang in and grind for once. Top 5 player on Tour on pure ability.

I wonder how much a veteran Tour caddy might help Haas. Simpson grabbed a well-respected vet caddy and has given him a good deal of credit for his success.

I wonder how much a veteran Tour caddy might help Haas. Simpson grabbed a well-respected vet caddy and has given him a good deal of credit for his success.

Maybe. Jay Jr knows what he's doing though. Be interesting to see if they continue the partnership. Bet the caddy Bill fired in July isnt too happy right now.

I have always wondered--how is prize money divided? Do sponsors receive a cut? business managers,etc? Do caddies normally receive 10%? Wonder how that works with Fed EX, since it is not one tournament?

Just curious.

I have always wondered--how is prize money divided? Do sponsors receive a cut? business managers,etc? Do caddies normally receive 10%? Wonder how that works with Fed EX, since it is not one tournament?

Just curious.

For caddies, I have heard 5% making the cut, 7% top 10 and 10% for winning. The FEC could definitely be different but I would imagine he'll get 10%.

Agents in golf are interesting. Some of the agents don't take anything from the actual tournament winnings, and simply make their money on the sponsorships (which is a lot). Others make a minimal percent of the tournament winnings, something like 1-3%.

Player has to pay other people of course but don't think anyone else gets a percent cut off tournament winnings.

simpson is egregiously slow. sergio during his regripping phase slow. jb holmes slow.

For caddies, I have heard 5% making the cut, 7% top 10 and 10% for winning. The FEC could definitely be different but I would imagine he'll get 10%.

Agents in golf are interesting. Some of the agents don't take anything from the actual tournament winnings, and simply make their money on the sponsorships (which is a lot). Others make a minimal percent of the tournament winnings, something like 1-3%.

Player has to pay other people of course but don't think anyone else gets a percent cut off tournament winnings.

Caddies usually make a base for the week ($1,500 maybe) but then have to cover their own travel and meal expenses. Most agents only get paid off contracts, sponsors and appearance fees. They usually take the biggest % cut off the appearance fees. I'm sure that Bill had a massive bonus clause in his Titleist deal about winning the FedEx Cup and that his agent will be making quite a bit off of that.

Thanks for the info.

I suspect that Bill is hearing from relatives and friends he never knew he had!

Did I hear correctly that Bill made more on Sunday than his Dad made during his entire PGA career? I guess that is not too surprising; but, Jay didn't play all that long ago. I doubt that that includes his Senior PGA career because he has won some serious money there. At any rate, that is a crazy amount of money.

Jay has career earnings of $26.3M. $14.5M from the PGA tour.

Back