• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

townie is dumb

The Vatican astronomer also says there is life on other planets.

these guys actually think.

Not sure there is anything revolutionary here. Many Christian theologians (and physicists) believe the Big Bang is completely consistent with intelligent design and evolution within species is not controversial.

He has said basically that exact same thing in the past we had a long thread on it maybe a year or two ago.
Nevermind I see that story is 2 years old.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

This is not particularly new. The Catholic Church has been pro-evolution and big bang for decades. The previous Pope walkedbit back a bit but really Francis is just reasserting a decades of Catholic thinking.

BAHA I was probably lay the person who posted it two years ago too. Whoops.

Not sure there is anything revolutionary here. Many Christian theologians (and physicists) believe the Big Bang is completely consistent with intelligent design and evolution within species is not controversial.

the catholic church is historically more regressive, more authoritarian, more conservative than you seem to be giving it credit for. I'm actually terrified some sort of ill might befall this progressive pope, his statements are that radical (and awesome) IMO.

ETA: although i wouldn't know about the church's 20th century history, if birdman says this has been catholic policy for decades then i'm not saying it hasn't...but then again it'd be helpful if that were emphasized more as i'm reasonably well informed and had no idea.

Last edited:
the catholic church is historically more regressive, more authoritarian, more conservative than you seem to be giving it credit for. I'm actually terrified some sort of ill might befall this progressive pope, his statements are that radical (and awesome) IMO.

ETA: although i wouldn't know about the church's 20th century history, if birdman says this has been catholic policy for decades then i'm not saying it hasn't...but then again it'd be helpful if that were emphasized more as i'm reasonably well informed and had no idea.

Ok, so I did a bit more reading on this and I over stated the Catholic doctrine. In the 50s they said that evolution and Catholicism are not in conflict, and so Francis seems to have take that position a step further with his recent comments.

Back