• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

traffic law question

DeacHoops

Reaction score
say you have a school zone, and the school zone traffic lights flash when the reduced speed limit is in effect.

then say it's a holiday, and schools are out. but the lights are still flashing during their normal times.

do you have to obey the lower speed limit?

this is the situation from friday, veteran's day. for the record, i DID slow down and follow the reduced speed limit, just in case, so it's not like i got a ticket that i'm now trying to find a way out of. i'm just wondering if i actually HAD to.

Without knowing the absolute answer to your question, I'd say that you have a decent argument against your ticket if you're ticketed. If you appeared before the judge and showed that it was a holiday, then I'd like to think you could get out of it.

Better policy just to slow down, though. Much less headache.

wondered this myself... this is from Wikipedia:

School zones may also sometimes be in effect during school holidays, due to holiday programs that use school premises. In some locations however, school zone signs will be locked up during school holidays so that motorists can drive to the normal speed limit.

I could see both sides. If I were a judge, I would toss it. However, I'm fairly certain that the sign reads, "20MPH When Lights are Flashing"

I'm pretty sure my school zone had that sign AND a sign that showed the times that the zone was in effect.

so is the conclusion that it IS likely illegal, but that most judges would let it slide?

that was my thought process, but didn't know if it was really right.

My mom got pulled over under those exact circumstances once (within normal speed limit, over school zone speed limit, during the school zone hours but on a holiday). She said to the officer, "oh, I thought that since there was no school today the speed limit would be regular." The officer then said "hmm, guess you're right, drive carefully."

But agreed, it's not that hard to drop 15 mph for a few hundred yards to avoid the potential headache, especially if you see the speed trap.

similar situation......

What if the flashing school zone light is flashing an hour earlier because the timer was not adjusted for the end of daylight savings time? Can a ticket be issued?

I drive by Our Lady of Mercy on Link Rd in WS each morning around 7:15 & the flashing lights are blinking when they are not supposed to. According to the posted sign, the lights are supposed to flash from 7:30 - 8:15ish during the early morning hours when kids are getting dropped off.

Thoughts??

Back