• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Trailers for Movies You Want to See

So many high profile directors coming out with movies this fall/winter. New Fincher/Nolan/PTA flicks coming out in consecutive months, in my opinion the three best American directors working today. All the flicks look great, Inherent Vice has the chance to be a masterpiece, Gone Girl sounds like Fincher at the top of his game, and Interstellar is 169 minutes, while the trailer showed almost nothing of what the film is, so Nolan must have something epic to unleash. Very excited.

Not sure it has been discussed (only read last two pages) but Annabelle comes out on Friday. It stars Wake Forest grad and personal friend Ward Horton. Go support a fellow Deacon. If horror movies aren't your thing, buy an Annabelle ticket and go into a different movie.

So many high profile directors coming out with movies this fall/winter. New Fincher/Nolan/PTA flicks coming out in consecutive months, in my opinion the three best American directors working today. All the flicks look great, Inherent Vice has the chance to be a masterpiece, Gone Girl sounds like Fincher at the top of his game, and Interstellar is 169 minutes, while the trailer showed almost nothing of what the film is, so Nolan must have something epic to unleash. Very excited.

You think Nolan is better than the Coens?

Not sure it has been discussed (only read last two pages) but Annabelle comes out on Friday. It stars Wake Forest grad and personal friend Ward Horton. Go support a fellow Deacon. If horror movies aren't your thing, buy an Annabelle ticket and go into a different movie.

Fuck that movie! I hate dolls and clowns! Clown dolls are the worst!

You think Nolan is better than the Coens?

I think his recent output is better than their recent output. In the last 10 years the Coens have released The Ladykillers, No Country for Old Men, Burn After Reading, A Serious Man, True Grit, and Inside Llewyn Davis. Nolan has Batman Begins, The Prestige, The Dark Knight, Inception, The Dark Knight Rises, and now Interstellar.

No Country, A Serious Man, and Inside Llewyn Davis are all very good, but those other three from the Coens are really weak. Nolan is more consistent right now, his every release is an event movie, so I'd go with him over the Coen's at this point in their career.

I agree with you re: Nolan vs the Coen bros, but True Grit (2010) was nominated for 10 Academy Awards and has a 96% on rotten tomatoes - on what grounds, besides your very personal perspective, is it a "weak" film?

I agree with you re: Nolan vs the Coen bros, but True Grit (2010) was nominated for 10 Academy Awards and has a 96% on rotten tomatoes - on what grounds, besides your very personal perspective, is it a "weak" film?

Well that's really all it is is my personal opinion of it. It's well made and whatnot but it's the Coen's most studio driven effort to date. If you showed me that movie without telling me who directed it then I would have no idea it's a Coen Bros. movie. It has none of their flair, none of their philosophical tendencies. It's too broad for my tastes.

Last edited:
Not sure what to think of this. Ten Commandments with CGI, loud music, and lots of yelling...

Isn't that like 6 movies in a row now that Liam Neeson has made that are either Taken or something that looks like Taken?

Typecasting.

more like

quitland.jpg

Interstellar and Gone Girl.

The Grey wasn't at all Taken-esque. He was still a badass, but that was more a psychological thriller and a relatively quiet drama than an action movie.

Also, I have said this before, but every single person in the world except for me is wrong about Burn After Reading. That movie is fuckin' great.

Agreed about the broadness of True Grit, though I still really enjoyed it.

Haha. I hazed that little tyke back in the day. He is all grows up.

The Grey wasn't at all Taken-esque. He was still a badass, but that was more a psychological thriller and a relatively quiet drama than an action movie.

Also, I have said this before, but every single person in the world except for me is wrong about Burn After Reading. That movie is fuckin' great.

Agreed about the broadness of True Grit, though I still really enjoyed it.

I had no problem with Burn After Reading. I thought it was very enjoyable.

True Grit and Ladykillers were both remakes and pretty good ones to boot. It is hard to exceed the classics on which they were based. Ladykillers didn't in that regard. True Grit may have.

Back