• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Transgender Athletes

Yes, I don't think anyone is suggesting they're doing it to fit in, or anyone is influencing others to be trans, or doing it to win a swim meet. But with more exposure and with impressionable kids (and even impressionable adults) you'll have more experimentation.
I wouldn’t think of it as experimentation so much as they have access to a lot more people’s experience so they have more readily available language to describe what they feel and know about themselves

I wouldn’t think of it as experimentation so much as they have access to a lot more people’s experience so they have more readily available language to describe what they feel and know about themselves
Or in some cases because I saw it on Euphoria

Ray Finkle did not suffer from gender dysphoria. He was living as Einhorn to hide his identity. He was literally a man in a dress and Ace found his balls.

You literally posted about this 10 days ago. What made you feel like you needed to repost it?

Thanks, but I don't need your help in deciding what to post. If you have a complaint, take it up with the mods.

Here's another excellent explanation of why males should not be allowed to compete in women's sports. And yes, it uses the boy from the Oregon HS track meet as an example.

Thanks, but I don't need your help in deciding what to post. If you have a complaint, take it up with the mods.

Here's another excellent explanation of why males should not be allowed to compete in women's sports. And yes, it uses the boy from the Oregon HS track meet as an example.

She came in second in the event.

Just to be clear for everyone the trans athlete, with gonads and gametes and stuff, did not actually win the event. Much ado about second place.

I respect everyone’s intentions, but I think all the talk about penises and winning are setting this debate up as if support for transwomen in sports should be conditional on how they look and how (un)good they are.

I respect everyone’s intentions, but I think all the talk about penises and winning are setting this debate up as if support for transwomen in sports should be conditional on how they look and how (un)good they are.
The underlying "argument" that I am responding to is that trans women, because of their prior elevated testosterone levels, have an unfair advantage in athletic competition and should therefore be prohibited from competing. (That was the original purpose of this thread and I think there are other more general trans rights threads buried in the Tunnels.) I think pointing out that the person who supposedly had an unfair advantage didn't actually win the competition goes a long way towards invalidating the opposition's arguments about sports participation. How can someone possess an unfair advantage if they didn't even win? You're absolutely right that reducing the broader discussion about trans people and their rights to: gonads, appearance, and athletic ability is dehumanizing, but I was responding specifically to a post about a trans person "beating down" competition when they didn't actually win the competition.

I'd be totally cool with Lebronda James as the GOAT women's basketball player. But I'd shake my head if Cammy Hildreth was all of the sudden a WNBA All-Star.

Capt, what’s your take on intersex athletes?
Intersex humans are extremely rare. According to this article in the Journal of Sex Research:

Anne Fausto-Sterling's suggestion that the prevalence of intersex might be as high as 1.7% has attracted wide attention in both the scholarly press and the popular media. Many reviewers are not aware that this figure includes conditions which most clinicians do not recognize as intersex, such as Klinefelter syndrome, Turner syndrome, and late-onset adrenal hyperplasia. If the term intersex is to retain any meaning, the term should be restricted to those conditions in which chromosomal sex is inconsistent with phenotypic sex, or in which the phenotype is not classifiable as either male or female. Applying this more precise definition, the true prevalence of intersex is seen to be about 0.018%, almost 100 times lower than Fausto-Sterling s estimate of 1.7%.

There are cases of apparently intersex athletes who rose to the level of world class athletes. But even in such cases, it is usually possible to determine if the individual is actually male or female. The most famous such case is Caster Semenya, a South African who won two Olympic gold medals and three world championships in the women's 800M. In 2019, the Court of Arbitration for Sport effectively ruled that Semenya could not compete anymore as a female in middle distance races, because Semenya had XY (male) chromosomes and testes.

Since that ruling, World Athletics, the international governing body for track and field has thankfully tightened their criteria for participation in female track events so that now anyone who is male or who who passed through male puberty cannot compete in female events. Thus there will be no trans women or intersex males in women's events at the Paris Olympics.

...The mainstream reporting on Semenya is very misleading, to say the least so let me share a few key facts that you likely haven’t read anywhere else.

How the Associated Press, Reuters, NY Times, NPR, Washington Post, and BBC could all leave this CRUCIAL fact out of their reporting is beyond me. Not a single one of them mentioned it at all. It should have been in the lead paragraph of every story so people like my mother, who sent me a confused email after she saw an article on Semenya, can really understand what this is all about. Instead, the closest we get to the truth was that some of the articles talked about how Semenya has intersex “traits” or “characteristics.” Let’s be real, if you are an XY woman, you are the very definition of what virtually everyone would think of as intersex.

Because of the glaring XY omission, many across the globe ended up reading opening paragraphs like this from the front page of the New York Times:

Female track athletes with naturally elevated levels of testosterone must decrease the hormone to participate in certain races at major competitions like the Olympics, the highest court in international sports said Wednesday in a landmark ruling amid the pitched debate over who can compete in women’s events.

If I had been writing for the NY Times, I’d have added just six words and there would have been no confusion as to what really happened.

Intersex track athletes with XY chromosomes and naturally elevated levels of testosterone must decrease the hormone to participate in certain races versus women at major competitions like the Olympics, the highest court in international sports said Wednesday in a landmark ruling amid the pitched debate over who can compete in women’s events.

This is an incredibly complex issue, and one of the reasons for that complexity is that the IAAF has two categories in which athletes can compete: male and female. The problem is, human biology doesn’t always neatly divide into male or female. Some people — intersex people — have traits of both sexes. Semenya isn’t male, but in addition to Y chromosomes, she is believed to have internal testes and lack a womb or ovaries — characteristics we don’t traditionally associate with females. However, you’d likely never know that from reading the coverage in the mainstream press on Wednesday...

Semenya.jpg

You don't need a Nobel Prize in Genetics to see that Semenya is male.

She came in second in the event.

Just to be clear for everyone the trans athlete, with gonads and gametes and stuff, did not actually win the event. Much ado about second place.
I'm guessing that video was from an early heat. I'm also guessing it's not unusual for one runner to smoke the others in an early heat.

The Oregon HS dude got 2nd overall in both the girls' 200M and 400M at a meet with about 20 high schools competing. His times would have placed him 61st in the boys' 200M and 46th in the boys' 400M.

If there had been a couple more mediocre boys who suddenly decided they felt like girls, then they easily could have swept the top three places in both events.

I'm sure that this matters to the girls in those events, their friends, their families and everyone who is not a true believer in trans ideology.

So I do not buy the argument of "Oh, what's the big deal, it's just one runner."

Also, there have been other cases besides Semenya of males winning significant championships in women's events. For example, in 2019 a male from Franklin Pierce College won the women's 400M Hurdles at the NCAA Division II Track and Field championships. He was prevented from trying to qualify for the 2021 U.S. Olympic team.

Telfer.jpg

Millions of dumbass transphobes with the entire conservative social media echo chamber working overtime and they can only find a few random examples of trans women “dominating” sports throughout the entire world over the last decade.

Back