• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Travel recs - Punta Cana

Spent a week at Hard Rock Punta Cana in December and agree that Punta Cana generally sucks. The food ans drinks were OK, but the beach was thick with sargassum grass (as is most of the Caribbean right now) and the service wasn't close to Cancun or PDC standards. The airport experience on the way out was by far the worst of my life. We got there 2 1/2 hours before our flight and barely made the plane.

the comments here and some that I have seen online have pretty much killed my enthusiasm for DR. The gang we are traveling with was determined to go there but the deals we were trying to book filled up on us - I am glad, personally. But now we are back at square one...

Thanks for the feedback. And if it was the Cary of the Caribbean it would be full of Yankees but still manage to be awesome.

It's really hard to beat the Riviera Maya/Cancun/Playa area for affordable, easy beach vacations right now.

Especially with a group.

Another easy location to get to is Providenciales, Turks and Caicos.

Direct couple hour flight from Charlotte. Beautiful and safe. But not super happening. Just relaxing.

Another easy location to get to is Providenciales, Turks and Caicos.

Direct couple hour flight from Charlotte. Beautiful and safe. But not super happening. Just relaxing.

Yeah, but why would you want to leave Charlotte ?

I've got a few friends who have vacationed in DR (God knows why) and their experiences were uniformly terrible. No idea why anybody would go there over any of the other far more desirable destinations in the Caribbean.

It's got a lot.

charlotte1.jpg

This is the image that greeted people when they would head down the escalator to baggage claim for about 2 years.

Diarrhea and guys with machine guns -- sounds like a pretty bitchin vacay. Do it.

Now it looks like we are going to Royal Hideaway Playacar in Playa Del Carmen. It is an Occidental hotel and looks nice. We have done Riviera Maya before and had good results... We are going through Costco and it looks like a really good deal - even a little cheaper than the place in DR.
Any comments or experiences?

Comments ?

Yeah, well a question really. Do people actually arrange vacations through Costco ?

Now it looks like we are going to Royal Hideaway Playacar in Playa Del Carmen. It is an Occidental hotel and looks nice. We have done Riviera Maya before and had good results... We are going through Costco and it looks like a really good deal - even a little cheaper than the place in DR.
Any comments or experiences?

Playa Del Carmen is fun. My BIL and I (not Biff, the other one) bought Nacho Libre style masks and put them on and sat outside and drank buckets of beer. Total Brasky move, but it was funny as shit after a few buckets.

Comments ?

Yeah, well a question really. Do people actually arrange vacations through Costco ?

Not necessarily "arrange" through them, but book through them. We have done it a couple of times, one cruise and one resort, and got the best prices that we could find anywhere- by several hundred dollars.

just to add my two cents about punta cana. honeymooned there about 11 years ago (as a youngish couple saving for a house) and got a pretty good deal at a different property. saw about the same as most people though on resort it was not so bad. there were far more europeans than americans where we were (think chain smoking non-ashed cigarettes dangling over the breakfast buffet).

my favorite part was taking the buss to the one excursion we left the property for we passed a local gated (and walled) community. the armed guard stationed at the gate was swinging his machine gun around by the handle. (finger not on the trigger, spinning loosely in his hand). not gonna lie, i had the strong urge to duck.

Back