• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Treasury Secretary and Hedge Fund Manager/Former Goldman Sachs Partner Steven Mnuchin

I'm gonna assume that by "draining the swamp" Trump just meant getting all the swamprats in the oval office together and pulling the pull. Right?

defending the common man:

In 2004, he also founded a hedge fund, Dune Capital Management, named for a spot near his house in the Hamptons. The firm invested in at least two Donald Trump projects and, in one of them, was sued by Trump before a settlement was reached. Then, in partnership with Soros, hedge fund manager John Paulson and others, Mnuchin bought the failed housing lender IndyMac in 2009 for $1.6 billion.[8] The bank, purchased out of bankruptcy from the FDIC, was renamed OneWest, with Mnuchin as chair. According to The New York Times, OneWest "was involved in a string of lawsuits over questionable foreclosures, and settled several cases for millions of dollars." OneWest was sold to CIT Group in 2015.[6]

In November 2016, two nonprofits filed a complaint with the Department of Housing and Urban Development, alleging redlining by OneWest Bank.[9]

The California Reinvestment Coalition, which opposed CIT Group's acquisition of OneWest, helped to highlight a number of issues about the bank, using Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) requests. First, the "shared loss agreements" that Mnuchin and his group of investors secured from the FDIC when buying IndyMac and La Jolla banks proved to be quite lucrative. According to data obtained from the FDIC, as of December 2014, it had already paid out over $1 billion to OneWest for the costs of failed loans (foreclosures). The FDIC estimated it would have to pay out another $1.4 billion to OneWest before 2019.[10]

CRC also submitted a FOIA request to United States Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) to learn more about OneWest's reverse mortgage subsidiary, Financial Freedom. According to the data that HUD provided in its FOIA response, Financial Freedom foreclosed on 16,220 federally insured reverse mortgages from April 2009 to April 2016. This represents about 39% of all federally insured reverse mortgage foreclosures during that time frame. The 39% figure was criticized by CRC, who estimated that Financial Freedom only serviced about 17% of the market. In other words, Financial Freedom was foreclosing at twice the amount that one would expect, given its share of the market.[11]

CIT Group, which purchased OneWest in August 2015 for $3.4 billion,[8] disclosed to investors that it had received subpoenas from HUD's Office of the Inspector General in the third and fourth quarters of 2015.[12]

Because Mnuchin received stock in CIT Group when it purchased OneWest, it's possible he could sell it tax free if he were confirmed to be Treasury Secretary and if he reinvested the proceeds in Treasuries or government approved funds, according to Bloomberg, which suggests Mnuchin has $97 million in CIT stock.[13]

Actually, this 1 doesn't scare me, though once again, the juxtaposition of how he campaigned versus who he's actually appointing is entertaining if you enjoy irony. Sessions, OTOH, as AG is a horrific choice. Just as Guiliani would be at state. I'm hoping Romney or Petraeus will be the pick at state. There would again be a ton of irony in a Petraeus appointment, but that said, he's smart and capable.

How would Petraeus still be cleared for Top Secret?

Not a big fan of Petraeus at State. Beyond the obvious irony, a military guy is best suited for DOD. I mean, he's obviously capable, and maybe a touch of military realism is what the DOS needs every now and then, but it doesn't seem like a fit.

How would Petraeus still be cleared for Top Secret?

I was wondering that as well when I saw his name mentioned. But I assumed they've cleared that hurdle if they're actually interviewing him for the position. Maybe I shouldn't assume that much. Still, if it's a choice between him and Guiliani, that's a no-brainer. I mean, Boris Johnson seems like a Nobel prize winner compared to Guiliani.

I like that if he was Secretary of State he has to clear travel with his probation officer, this is the fucking world we live in now.

Just because he gave his girlfriend information to get laid and so that she could publish it and make money doesn't mean he shouldn't get top secret clearance again.

If she gets a big advance, I wonder what Petraeus will have given to the publisher.

Back