• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Triad Pro-Am League - That just happened.

If whoever these H-F guys are don't like comments about them from people who "don't know them," they would not like the NBA anyway. It sounds like they provide good competition in the summer league though.

Gould happens to be the head coach at Winston-Salem Prep which has a player by the name of Greg McClinton that Wake covets. I wouldnt go there with coach Gould if I were you given how close him and Greg are.

So he's not at the buffet? Could of sworn I saw him standing outside the GC last night.

If whoever these H-F guys are don't like comments about them from people who "don't know them," they would not like the NBA anyway. It sounds like they provide good competition in the summer league though.

This thread reminds me of the D-League TV Episode that feature Makhtar Ndiaye. Two guys get hurt and there's a spot for him, so the team scouts and a bunch of other people show up for the d-league game to see if he'll get the spot. A few minutes in a guy gives him a little push and says something, Makhtar takes a swing at him and is immediately ejected. He goes off yelling at the refs, other players, cursing at fans, and throws a temper tantrum in front of his baby mama in the locker room. When interviewed and asked why he would throw away his chance to make it to the league, he's defiant, acting like he did the right thing. His girlfriend says "That's just my Makhtar..."

HF's have some great players. They can torch college guys all day and I have little doubt they could hold their own with plenty of NBA talent. But considering they feel compelled to come challenge an alumni board to play them, along with comparing themselves to every player who ever set foot on a Wake court.... Can't help but think they are just a bunch of Makhtars.

Maybe they'll end up suing an airline or something.

Okay. Wake grad; Wake fan here. Been following this exchange with barely a passing interest - until some actual players joined in. Gotta say, H-F is winning this debate hands down. Makes some good points, granted with some unnecessary hyperbole, but all in all H-F won summer league, winning this debate.

The more valuable discussion it seems obvious to me, is that H-F, you've played in summer league now at least 5 years. You've seen the Wake guys come into summer league with no college experience and played with them through four years. What did you think of Chase compared to the other 2s that have come in the last several years? What about Green? Tony? etc... who would you compare them to in college ball? Past guys that have played at Wake or you have played with?

You can send me a private message if you would prefer it to posting publicly.

Never been to a summer league game in W-S, but I have been to mecca (Rucker) up here in NYC. I think CP3 busted his cherry up here last year or the year before.

I think some of your criticisms are off base. If you play pro and get paid to practice, and play summer league with other pros and guys you are familiar with, you are infinitely ahead of the game and it is a bit silly to not see the advantage over a team of 20 year olds spread over four or five teams.

I like Chase's game although I havent seen much of it bc we played a box and 1 on him. I think they should go with CJ at the 1 and put JT and Chase on the perimeter to spread the floor and let CJ operate. Also having Travis at the 4 I think could cause matchup problems. Seems Wake is gonna have to play small ball this year but that might be a good thing. This is just my opinion bc I havent seen them play alot with the exception of CJ. For the other part, yes I know we have an advantage in the Pro Am. We have players that have played together for a long time so we have a certain chemistry that other teams dont. And we have pro's playing against college guys so yes there is def an advantage. But i'm rooting for Wake and hopefully they can surprise some people this year.

I like Chase's game although I havent seen much of it bc we played a box and 1 on him. I think they should go with CJ at the 1 and put JT and Chase on the perimeter to spread the floor and let CJ operate. Also having Travis at the 4 I think could cause matchup problems. Seems Wake is gonna have to play small ball this year but that might be a good thing. This is just my opinion bc I havent seen them play alot with the exception of CJ. For the other part, yes I know we have an advantage in the Pro Am. We have players that have played together for a long time so we have a certain chemistry that other teams dont. And we have pro's playing against college guys so yes there is def an advantage. But i'm rooting for Wake and hopefully they can surprise some people this year.

Thanks for posting. We're hearing a lot of good things about CJ and the work he's obviously put in over the past few months. He has to be a rock this year if we're going to have any success.

I think the H-F's biggest problem is that their 'fans' are a bunch of clowns.

If Whit was on here, posting what he is posting (with some exceptions), nobody would say a word against him or his brother. It is always nice to have somebody that really knows the game post honest evaluations of our guys.

I think the H-F's biggest problem is that their 'fans' are a bunch of clowns.

If Whit was on here, posting what he is posting (with some exceptions), nobody would say a word against him or his brother. It is always nice to have somebody that really knows the game post honest evaluations of our guys.

truth. whit probably doesn't remember me, but we had some mutual friends in high school and hung out a few times. always struck me as a good dude.

thanks. How would you grade CJ's progress the last three years? Or more specifically, this time last year to this year? For whatever reason, I thought he looked a bit tentative with his shot last year, and preferred to drive than shoot jumpers, but often got bumped off the drive and was not quite strong enough to get to where he need to go. I think he needs to take more jumpers off the dribble. It seemed to me that once he put the ball on the floor, he was easier to defend because he was gonna go to the hole or pass it, one or the other.

thanks. How would you grade CJ's progress the last three years? Or more specifically, this time last year to this year? For whatever reason, I thought he looked a bit tentative with his shot last year, and preferred to drive than shoot jumpers, but often got bumped off the drive and was not quite strong enough to get to where he need to go. I think he needs to take more jumpers off the dribble. It seemed to me that once he put the ball on the floor, he was easier to defend because he was gonna go to the hole or pass it, one or the other.

Not an expert obviously, but my thoughts on the matter:

He didn't take many jumpers and did have issues finishing when fouled, but he was also very good at getting fouled and then making free throws. Obviously 3 > 2, but he was pretty reliable in getting those 2.

i think cj could use a bit quicker of a release too. his jumpshot has always seemed really methodical with little lift (much like CP3 when he was at wake). pretty much the antithesis of jtt.

Given how much people have talked up CJ's performance in the summer league, I am very excited to see him next year.

If this was the tone of your posts, this thread would not have gotten off track.

Back