• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Triangle Area Health/Wellness Resources

CaptainAwesome

Reaction score
I am currently doing a summer internship at the Duke Children's Primary Care Center and they have asked me to work on a community resource book full of various health/wellness resources throughout the triangle that they can pass out to patients who come into the clinic. Do any of you Triangle-area Deacs have any suggestions? Looking for anything related to nutrition, fitness, health care, etc. So if you have any places (like Whole Foods, Trader Joes, etc) that you like to shop for healthy food options, or local gyms, parks, trails. Or really anything else that may fit it in, I would greatly appreciate any suggestions. Thanks guys

State Farmers market for fresh fruits and veggies.

Don't know if they still do it, but there used to be some club that ran once a week through downtown Raleigh starting at Tir Na Nog.

Trisports is an adult sports league that's active in the Triangle.

Those are the ones that immediately came to mind. I'll try to think if more.

thanks for the suggestions and bump in case anyone else has any

The various Triangle Y branches.

The trails at Bond Park (Cary) and Apex Community Park / Lake Pine are nice.

Blue cross blue shield is headquartered in CH and they do a lot of health and wellness type stuff. If you want a contact pm me.

Eta. I mean resources type stuff. Nit stuff actually through them.

Blue cross blue shield is headquartered in CH and they do a lot of health and wellness type stuff. If you want a contact pm me.

Eta. I mean resources type stuff. Nit stuff actually through them.

They do have a very robust community affairs group as well as a large foundation. Im close with peeps in both areas.

Lots of different park options throughout the triangle.
-Umstead hosts lots of different events and has a great trail system. Hemlock Bluffs in Cary does lots of trail maintenance and educational programs, Bond Park in Cary hosts lots of family-friendly events.
-American Tobacco Trail for walking/running/cycling.
-another mention for the Farmer's Market for produce
-lots of different CSA/food basket options for people living in the area.
-you can rent kayaks/canoes/small sailboats at a few different parks- less conventional, but very fun way to get some good exercise. crabtree lake, lake johnson, lake wheeler, kayak/canoe rentals through REI.
-'pick your own berries' places for fresh fruit
-Indoor climbing gyms: Vertical Edge, Triangle Rock Club, Lifetime Fitness (has a wall).
-Inside Out Sports and Setup Events run a lot of events; mostly triathlons, but lots of family events/races/5k stuff, too.

As a side note, I would hesitate to include "trader joes" as a blanket healthy food store; perhaps put an asterisk with a 'check sodium content on prepared foods' memo because wow some of their frozen stuff is UNhealthy like whoa.

There are an increasing number of farm stands throughout the area as well. Harder to track, but many times they're easier to get to than the big Farmer's Market is.

Back