• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Trouble at VT again?

from one of my residents: (this is from the performing arts center stuff)

ErXXT.jpg

Holy crap! I bet that guy has to pop about 10 ambien to be able to get to sleep tonight.

vtnews Virginia Tech News
Reports of recent sounds ID'd as gunshots and suspicious activity on campus have been investigated and are unfounded. Stay where you are.
5 minutes ago

It's become more than just an outlier. There is a now a pattern of behavior.

I just don't get it. I mean, I'm on the same page with all of you... I am at a loss for the causes behind the pattern though.

What attracted me to VT in the first place was its 'melting-pot' type feel in terms of the diversity of the students from all different walks of life... I really hope that the positive I found in that isn't the negitive behind this pattern. Ugh.

Extremely broad statement, but sometimes shit just happens. We can try to make connections, but sometimes there aren't any.

This is really sad. I still remember the shootings from a few years ago like it was yesterday; I can't imagine what must be going through the minds of VT students and alumni right now.

I feel like I would just be really alert walking around campus.

Extremely broad statement, but sometimes shit just happens. We can try to make connections, but sometimes there aren't any.

But that's the problem. This has gone beyond just coincidence. Some very serious attention needs to be paid to why this is happening at VTech.

They definitely seem to have done a good job at fixing the reactionary methods to this kind of event, but it is apparent more time needs to be spent figuring out why this is happening there.

It's become more than just an outlier. There is a now a pattern of behavior.

agreed. sent this text to my roommate about 30 minutes ago. told him that this one may potentially be the worst one in hindsight because anyone that chooses to go out this way will choose the VT route, if that makes sense.

do today's events really fit within any pattern? sounded like a traffic stop gone wrong. that could happen anywhere there's an idiot with a handgun.

This is really sad. I still remember the shootings from a few years ago like it was yesterday; I can't imagine what must be going through the minds of VT students and alumni right now.

Anybody know any good shrinks in Richmond? :sick:

But that's the problem. This has gone beyond just coincidence. Some very serious attention needs to be paid to why this is happening at VTech.

They definitely seem to have done a good job at fixing the reactionary methods to this kind of event, but it is apparent more time needs to be spent figuring out why this is happening there.

I guess if we are able to connect these things we feel better about the ability to predict it happening again or handling it better the next time around. What scares the hell out of people is when there is no rhyme or reason for it and it just happens.

I just don't get it. I mean, I'm on the same page with all of you... I am at a loss for the causes behind the pattern though.

What attracted me to VT in the first place was its 'melting-pot' type feel in terms of the diversity of the students from all different walks of life... I really hope that the positive I found in that isn't the negitive behind this pattern. Ugh.

To me, it's still just a strange statistical anomaly. I've been to a few football games there. Nice campus and cute college town. And just about every Tech grad who I've met says they absolutely loved their years there. I'd still certainly consider it if I had a HS kid. And besides, this shooting doesn't necessarily sound like it's university related - doesn't sound like it's necessarily a student, and it arose from a traffic stop - could well be a drug dealer who overreacted to the stop. And it's not like murders haven't happened at other schools. We've had 2 rather high profile UVA related murders in the last 3 years around here.

Is it bad that my initial reaction at reading the description of the perp was whew, it's not an Asian guy?

do today's events really fit within any pattern? sounded like a traffic stop gone wrong. that could happen anywhere there's an idiot with a handgun.

I mean... you're right, but Morva was an idiot with a handgun... Cho was an idiot with a handgun.... Zhu was an idiot with a knife...

To me, it's still just a strange statistical anomaly. I've been to a few football games there. Nice campus and cute college town. And just about every Tech grad who I've met says they absolutely loved their years there. I'd still certainly consider it if I had a HS kid. And besides, this shooting doesn't necessarily sound like it's university related - doesn't sound like it's necessarily a student, and it arose from a traffic stop - could well be a drug dealer who overreacted to the stop. And it's not like murders haven't happened at other schools. We've had 2 rather high profile UVA related murders in the last 3 years around here.

Is it bad that my initial reaction at reading the description of the perp was whew, it's not an Asian guy?

Wasn't the Ft. Hood shooter a VT graduate?

Back