• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Trump SCOTUS Confirmation Hearing Thread (Put meltdown here)

Trump's not an ideologue (I don't think). Pryor and Sykes are way too controversial and would be filibustered, and I don't think Trump wants that early in his presidency. Clement would probably be pretty easily confirmable, but he's not on Trump's list, which he reiterated that he'll stick to.

If I was a betting man, I'd say Kethledge and Gorsuch would be pretty confirmable and maybe the most likely Trump picks. Could also see him going for a state court judge like Joan Larsen or Don Willett (Don Willett is a very active Tweeter, which would certainly be an interesting dynamic. At least from Twitter he seems like a mensch, but he's written a few nuts opinions).

I went to law school with Joan Larsen. She is the smartest person I have ever met. Just whip friggin' smart with an insane memory for details. She is also one of the kindest people I know - a view universally held among those who went to law school with her. I will watch in complete bemusement if she is nominated, accepts and is tossed under the bus as a puppy killer.

I went to law school with Joan Larsen. She is the smartest person I have ever met. Just whip friggin' smart with an insane memory for details. She is also one of the kindest people I know - a view universally held among those who went to law school with her. I will watch in complete bemusement if she is nominated, accepts and is tossed under the bus as a puppy killer.

She kills puppies, to be 100% transparent.

i feel like the politics board is 85% lawyers

Explain please, because my understanding is that they did.

Pretty sure it was confined to lower court judicial nominees (maybe some executive branch nominees too? not sure). But it expressly doesn't apply to SCOTUS nominees and pretty sure it hasn't been used to confirm any Cabinet-level officials

(Don Willett is a very active Tweeter, which would certainly be an interesting dynamic. At least from Twitter he seems like a mensch, but he's written a few nuts opinions).

willett.jpg

Yeah he has a ton of anti-Trump tweets. Also he's written some pretty libertarian opinions against government regulation, including one that has drawn comparisons to Lochner. So not sure that's the kind of guy that Trump wants on the court when he's the guy making the regulations.

Yeah he has a ton of anti-Trump tweets. Also he's written some pretty libertarian opinions against government regulation, including one that has drawn comparisons to Lochner. So not sure that's the kind of guy that Trump wants on the court when he's the guy making the regulations.

Also, he's a dukie.

Back