• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Trump Supporters Consume And Share The Most Fake News, Oxford Study Finds

warak

Reaction score
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entr...k&ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000013&section=politics

The three-month study, published Tuesday as part of the school’s Computational Propaganda Research Project, scrutinized the habits of 13,477 politically active U.S. Twitter users and 47,719 public Facebook pages in the months leading up to the State of the Union address late last month.

The study linked a full 55 percent of all junk news traffic on Twitter to the “Trump Support” group. “On Twitter, a network of Trump supporters shares the widest range of known junk news sources and circulates more junk news than all the other groups put together,” the authors noted.

For comparison, the “Democratic Party” and “Progressive Movement” groups together accounted for 1 percent of junk news traffic on Twitter, according to the study.

And on Facebook, the study found that “extreme hard right pages—distinct from Republican pages—share the widest range of known junk news sources and circulate more junk news than all the other audiences put together.” The “Hard Conservative” group accounted for 58 percent of junk news traffic on Facebook. (The “Democratic Party” group accounted for 12 percent.)

For the purposes of the study, researchers defined “junk news sources” as those that didn’t abide by basic journalistic practices and that “deliberately publish misleading, deceptive or incorrect information purporting to be real news.”

The researchers compiled a list of 91 such sources: http://comprop.oii.ox.ac.uk/wp-cont...on-Partisanship-JunkNews-OnlineSupplement.pdf

Yea, but like this study FEELS like it's fake news, so I guess we can just agree to disagree !

Shocking.

republican-brain-diagram.jpg

based on my facebook feed, this is not a shock. I snopes something at least once a week that I see posted from my right wing friends and it is always false. Latest example, ABC follows Obama lead and bans USA lapel pins. Guess what : it was false.

they think snopes is liberal

Yeah, there's a guy on facebook I used to know in high school. He served in the military and is an Iraq War vet. He's far-right conservative, and is always posting conspiracy-oriented stuff. He claims that in the military he had access to "secret intel" about Obama being a closet Muslim, Hillary allowing troops to die at Benghazi, etc. He loved posting stuff in the 2016 campaign about how Obama, Hillary, and the Dems were allowing secret Muslim "training camps" in North Carolina and other states, and he was surprised that they hadn't made a serious terrorist attack on Charlotte or Raleigh or some other place. Whenever someone used Snopes to try and debunk him he would go berzerk, typing long, long rants about how Snopes "didn't know shit" and that, because of his military background and access to secret intel, he knew that Snopes was full of shit. He even threatened people who used Snopes to debunk his claims, basically saying they were worthless civilians who didn't understand how the real world works. By and large, most right-wingers hate Snopes, and don't believe anything it says.

Last edited:
When the facts aren’t on your side, portray them as the enemy.

Yeah, there's a guy on facebook I used to know in high school. He served in the military and is an Iraq War vet. He's far-right conservative, and is always posting conspiracy-oriented stuff. He claims that in the military he had access to "secret intel" about Obama being a closet Muslim, Hillary allowing troops to die at Benghazi, etc. He loved posting stuff in the 2016 campaign about how Obama, Hillary, and the Dems were allowing secret Muslim "training camps" in North Carolina and other states, and he was surprised that they hadn't made a serious terrorist attack on Charlotte or Raleigh or some other place. Whenever someone used Snopes to try and debunk him he would go berzerk, typing long, long rants about how Snopes "didn't know shit" and that, because of his military background and access to secret intel, he knew that Snopes was full of shit. He even threatened people who used Snopes to debunk his claims, basically saying they were worthless civilians who didn't understand how the real world works. By and large, most right-wingers hate Snopes, and don't believe anything it says.

We might be friends with the same person LOL........DV7, this sound familiar? :)

When the facts aren’t on your side, portray them as the enemy.

And as "fake".

I used to think that the most dangerous falsehoods were the ones that were 1/2 true. But now the totally made up shit is embraced so easily by the right, I'm not sure anymore.

Because the most outlandish lies confirm their outlandish beliefs.

Politico just created a new searchable fake news database. Functionality seems limited right now but hopefully this continues to evolve. Have already refuted one ridiculous email from a conservative friend by using this.

Is This True: A Fake News Database

https://www.politico.com/interactives/2018/is-this-true/

Good luck. My guess is they'll just dismiss the politico database as fake too. I've seen plenty of right-wingers do the same to snopes - it's left-wing fake news too.

Right. They made up some conspiracy theory about how Snopes is run that they use to dismiss it.

Back