• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tunnels' Poster of the Year (nominations thread)

Yea I stand by everything I said. The RWers on this board, maybe one or two aside, are either trolls or zealots. I don't mind jh because at least he has a good vocabulary. Others just come off as hawks and bigots mostly. Junebug is actually not a bad poster, I'll give him that. DoDo is a buffoon or a madman, take your pick. Go is a lovable clown. ELC is meh. Dirk is a troll. TR seems to be the only one willing to actually engage on each issue. Sucks because I get so much good conservative stuff from the Economist and the Wall Street Journal, but when I come here it's frat boy homerism or straight trolljobs.

The second tier of libs is better than any of the cons: ChrisL, Strickland, Sig, et alia.

Wrangor is so close. He's almost there. The closest thing to centrists like Milhouse and Ph are solid too. When Millhouse posts more than a few words, he's great.

I'm good with meh.

Yea I stand by everything I said. The RWers on this board, maybe one or two aside, are either trolls or zealots. I don't mind jh because at least he has a good vocabulary. Others just come off as hawks and bigots mostly. Junebug is actually not a bad poster, I'll give him that. DoDo is a buffoon or a madman, take your pick. Go is a lovable clown. ELC is meh. Dirk is a troll. TR seems to be the only one willing to actually engage on each issue. Sucks because I get so much good conservative stuff from the Economist and the Wall Street Journal, but when I come here it's frat boy homerism or straight trolljobs.

The second tier of libs is better than any of the cons: ChrisL, Strickland, Sig, et alia.

Wrangor is so close. He's almost there. The closest thing to centrists like Milhouse and Ph are solid too. When Millhouse posts more than a few words, he's great.

Ph stopped being a centrist roughly 5 years ago.

I'm in the same place. The goalpost moved. I wish there were two decent options instead of barely one.

Its because all the old staunch conservatives, aka the dying breed are left over on scout with the other 65 year olds and their support of buzz and hatred of buzzout.

Its because all the old staunch conservatives, aka the dying breed are left over on scout with the other 65 year olds and their support of buzz and hatred of buzzout.

I would bet the the overall community is much more conservative than the political board.

Dude, this board is VERY liberal. And it has actually become worse since the election, which I didn't think was possible. I haven't posted on these boards as long as guys like Ph and some others, but from the old boards to now, the politics boards went from about a 60/40 conservative split to a pretty even one that bounced from one side to the other depending on the issue, to about a 60/40 liberal split when this board started, to about a 75/25 liberal split now. And that's being kind to conservative representatives, since many of them post very little or not at all anymore. After several years of posting, even I am winding down and posting far less on the politics board. It simply isn't fun or engaging anymore.

to you Reagan is VERY liberal.

Dude, this board is VERY liberal. And it has actually become worse since the election, which I didn't think was possible. I haven't posted on these boards as long as guys like Ph and some others, but from the old boards to now, the politics boards went from about a 60/40 conservative split to a pretty even one that bounced from one side to the other depending on the issue, to about a 60/40 liberal split when this board started, to about a 75/25 liberal split now. And that's being kind to conservative representatives, since many of them post very little or not at all anymore. After several years of posting, even I am winding down and posting far less on the politics board. It simply isn't fun or engaging anymore.

"meh"

Is definitely the political post of the year.

I don't know if this board is more liberal than the general populous, but the liberal people are definitely more outspoken and they do for the most part present better arguments. It helps that they typically (BKF not withstanding) don't make asinine generalized statements to compartmentalize problems rather than addressing things on an individual and thoughtful basis.

I don't think Shoo is a good liberal poster though, he's mostly a troll. I also don't consider Arlington to be that liberal unless he's shifted a lot over the past year. I always considered him to be a pretty moderate poster.

People/the boards havent changed, the line has moved. Look at the Republican base - they're way farther right than they were. Some guy on Fox news called Ben Stein a communist this year.

Interesting take. It's only fun when you're getting more agreement, rather than debate? I kind of feel the opposite. And I'm not sure I follow this "shouting down" narrative. We're posting on an internet message board. Take as much time as you need to complete your thoughts.

--Guy Who Writes Too-Long Posts

Edited to add: It's interesting how other posters' perceptions of you can change, based on outside events. I was considered a pretty "moderator" poster for years on the old boards -- though always liberal, of course -- mainly, I think, because during the GWB administration I refused to buy into all the garbage the hard left was trying to throw at the President. Make no mistake, I think GWB was a disastrously awful Executive, but I never went in for all the crazy conspiracies, the personal demonizing of the man, or for viewing his (IMO) total incompetence as some type of secret, nefarious, hidden super-competence to enact dastardly plots. (I hope that last part makes sense). When Obama was elected, I was very pleased, no question. And I think he's been a terrific president in troubling times. But the amount of similar garbage thrown at him, since his first day in office, has been unmatched by any Executive in history (IMO). And, of course, most of these silly charges and petty attacks end up circulating and getting dissected on political message boards like ours (see, e.g., Benghazi). So when I adopted similar positions on the Obama nonsense as I did on GWB -- that our President isn't secretly an evil, all-powerful and super-devious warlord bent on destroying our country and carving out power for himself, for his own sake -- to a certain segment of the board I'd suddenly lost objectivity, and become "in the tank" for Obama and (ugh) the Democratic Party. All because I wasn't buying the same garbage that I didn't buy for GWB (only there were more servings of it to discuss).

Maybe I'm not seeing myself perfectly accurately. Who does? But to me, my thoughts aren't any different. Everything I post is from a "liberal" stance, of course. Being overly general, that's what I believe. But there's a lot to be said about where the goalposts have moved in the last five years, based on Obama, the Tea Party, and the polarization of the political world.

Just my two cents.

Last edited:
Interesting take. It's only fun when you're getting more agreement, rather than debate? I kind of feel the opposite. And I'm not sure I follow this "shouting down" narrative. We're posting on an internet message board. Take as much time as you need to complete your thoughts.

--Guy Who Writes Too-Long Posts

Edited to add: It's interesting how other posters' perceptions of you can change, based on outside events. I was considered a pretty "moderator" poster for years on the old boards -- though always liberal, of course -- mainly, I think, because during the GWB administration I refused to buy into all the garbage the hard left was trying to throw at the President. Make no mistake, I think GWB was a disastrously awful Executive, but I never went in for all the crazy conspiracies, the personal demonizing of the man, or for viewing his (IMO) total incompetence as some type of secret, nefarious, hidden super-competence to enact dastardly plots. (I hope that last part makes sense). When Obama was elected, I was very pleased, no question. And I think he's been a terrific president in troubling times. But the amount of similar garbage thrown at him, since his first day in office, has been unmatched by any Executive in history (IMO). And, of course, most of these silly charges and petty attacks end up circulating and getting dissected on political message boards like ours (see, e.g., Benghazi). So when I adopted similar positions on the Obama nonsense as I did on GWB -- that our President isn't secretly an evil, all-powerful and super-devious warlord bent on destroying our country and carving out power for himself, for his own sake -- to a certain segment of the board I'd suddenly lost objectivity, and become "in the tank" for Obama and (ugh) the Democratic Party. All because I wasn't buying the same garbage that I didn't buy for GWB (only there were more servings of it to discuss).

Maybe I'm not seeing myself perfectly accurately. Who does? But to me, my thoughts aren't any different. Everything I post is from a "liberal" stance, of course. Being overly general, that's what I believe. But there's a lot to be said about where the goalposts have moved in the last five years, based on Obama, the Tea Party, and the polarization of the political world.

Just my two cents.

good post. I agree you have been consistent throughout both admins. I wasn't around these parts before Bush, so I can't comment on anything before that.

The fluid goalposts, I think, is the most important point.

As for George II, I don't think he was a nefarious power-hungry opportunist either. But I do think he was much more highly influenced by those types in his cabinet/party/sphere of influence than Obama is by those in his. Perhaps that has something to do with the goalposts, or maybe the current circumstances, or simply that those in Obama's cabinet/party/sphere of influence aren't driven by the same things. Or maybe they aren't as strong of an influence. I don't really know.

Your posts are a good thing for this board. Articulation of cogent points sans snark is a strength - given the unbelievable temptation to post otherwise. Lord knows I can't do it.

Also shouldn't it be expected that the liberal faction would get much rowdier after the election? We just replaced Loserman with a true believer, got Elizabeth Warren on the Senate Banking committee, and re-elected our Muslim anti-colonialist POTUS. Expecting us to calm down would be like expecting DV7 to calm down if Man U wins anything.

Back