• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tweeting WWII

pretty cool; how the hell could you do '43-'45 with 6 different fronts?

This is a such a good idea that I have decided to spend the next 20 years live tweeting the Trojan War and Odysseus' return to Ithaca.

I think it's part of Nazi Germany's history (like WWII), but it isn't a WWII event.

I think it's part of Nazi Germany's history (like WWII), but it isn't a WWII event.

Mostly this but the argument could be made that the War started in 1937. Japan and China were already at war and it was at that point that Germany made the decision to take over Austria and Czechoslovakia (troops not on ground until March of '38 though). Most other countries weren't paying all that much attention to Germany until then.

Mostly this but the argument could be made that the War started in 1937. Japan and China were already at war and it was at that point that Germany made the decision to take over Austria and Czechoslovakia (troops not on ground until March of '38 though). Most other countries weren't paying all that much attention to Germany until then.

I don't think you can lump the Pacific Theater and the European Theater together though to say that it had already started.

It depends upon who you ask. To China, the war started in 1937. To some Germans, the war started in 1933 with Hitler's election. Others were watching the Spanish Revolution in 1936. Placing hard dates on when a war starts is incredibly difficult. Should it be from when war is officially declared, when the first shot is fired, when diplomacy begins to fail etc?

It depends upon who you ask. To China, the war started in 1937. To some Germans, the war started in 1933 with Hitler's election. Others were watching the Spanish Revolution in 1936. Placing hard dates on when a war starts is incredibly difficult. Should it be from when war is officially declared, when the first shot is fired, when diplomacy begins to fail etc?

Yeah I completely agree with this and I think that in the case of WWII you have to look at the two theaters separately (and even deeper than that if you want to know individual countries/peoples).

I agree with you on viewing them separately (especially since all most know about the Pacific is Pearl Harbor, Iwo Jima and the atomic bombs). European Theater study must start prior to WWI to come close to understanding it. Pacific Theater is much more difficult because of the historic relations between Japan, China and all the islands.

I agree with you on viewing them separately (especially since all most know about the Pacific is Pearl Harbor, Iwo Jima and the atomic bombs). European Theater study must start prior to WWI to come close to understanding it. Pacific Theater is much more difficult because of the historic relations between Japan, China and all the islands.

One of the best classes I took at Wake was 19th Century European Politics (actually ran through 1925). Phenomenal class.

Back