• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Twitter users find out the shocking news that the Titanic was real

RollWave35

#KeepPounding
Reaction score
article-2129971-1299BD06000005DC-480_468x435.jpg

article-2129971-1299C9B3000005DC-718_468x439.jpg

Full story: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...itter-users-just-Titanic-really-happened.html

Must be a mind-blowing revelation for them.

when the movie came out, the News and Observer used to do an "Overheard" section on the paper. One of them was two girls standing in line to see the movie and one says "I heard the scene where it sinks is really intense" (or somethign to that effect) and the other girl looks at her, dumbfounded, and says "You mean it SINKS?! why did you tell me how it ends!?"

so, so sad.
granted, i feel like i have an unusual amount of Titanic knowledge because my little brother was pretty much obsessed for a good 2 years. he pretty much wanted to BE bob ballard.

when the movie came out, the News and Observer used to do an "Overheard" section on the paper. One of them was two girls standing in line to see the movie and one says "I heard the scene where it sinks is really intense" (or somethign to that effect) and the other girl looks at her, dumbfounded, and says "You mean it SINKS?! why did you tell me how it ends!?"

Someone should take those idiots to see The Passion of The Christ.

The sheer stupidity of a vast portion of humanity is mesmerizing.

I've posted this before, but it's a versatile quote for our world:

"Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider."

ugh dumb people. i honestly think being at Wake for 4 years makes you not realize it but as soon as you graduate and are out in the real world you realize how dumb the majority of people are.

Does this say anything about our public education system? Does it say anything about parents teaching their kids? Notice the tweets that suggest that no one ever told them about the Titanic. Of course, that reveals a voracious appetite for reading.

There should be an url dumbfuckingcunts.com and all of those people should be on it (along with wake4me4life) and that shit should go on their credit report.

I don't think humanity has gotten dumber over time, it's just that now there are ways for people to broadcast their stupidity to the world.

Does this say anything about our public education system? Does it say anything about parents teaching their kids? Notice the tweets that suggest that no one ever told them about the Titanic. Of course, that reveals a voracious appetite for reading.

There are a lot of things kids should be learning in our schools besides the Titanic. What this may reveal is a generation gap in common knowledge and language. The Titanic is the source of several phrases, terms, and colloquialisms in everyday life. Maybe those girls just don't get them but they probably don't know them. It also reflects the dominance of that film. It's swallowed up all the actual facts that came before it.

There are a lot of things kids should be learning in our schools besides the Titanic. What this may reveal is a generation gap in common knowledge and language. The Titanic is the source of several phrases, terms, and colloquialisms in everyday life. Maybe those girls just don't get them but they probably don't know them. It also reflects the dominance of that film. It's swallowed up all the actual facts that came before it.

yeah, pretty sure the Titanic disaster (and the oversight re: lifeboats) is a worthy life lesson, if only so kids understand the fucking reference.

i'm curious as to why some of you find it so shocking that some kids today don't know about a ship that sank 100 years ago that didn't even so much as cause a war

i'm curious as to why some of you find it so shocking that some kids today don't know about a ship that sank 100 years ago that didn't even so much as cause a war

Because it was a momentous cultural moment in history, and we learn about it for precisely the same reason that we study the gilded age.

Because it was a momentous cultural moment in history, and we learn about it for precisely the same reason that we study the gilded age.

lol you think those kids know what the gilded age is? Would you expect them to?

re: cultural, gets a bit swallowed up by such things as Prohibition and women's suffrage just a few years later in school, don't you think?

not to mention the proliferation of the automobile

Last edited:

Honestly? Because they made a huge movie about it that helped keep it in the public consciousness.

Back