• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Two soccer questions

LK's blind spot about RJ is so fucking sad.

I'm with BSD. RJ is RJ. He can be annoying, but the unbelievable overreactions he generates from (some) otherwise good and reasonable posters borders on the insane.

He makes a couple innocuous posts on this thread and people catch feelings like Brews during the NBA finals.

Was his post to DeacMan offensive? I guess. Was it ban-worthy? Not for anybody other than him or Milhouse.

Bunch of 7th grade girls on this board.

you son of a bitch i have two questions for you are you ready for THUNDER and LIGHTNING mofuggie

put-up-your-dukes.jpg

Fuck you, I hope you live a long life, and never succumb to a fire.

“Um, Homer Simpson is a brilliant man with lots of well thought out, practical ideas. He is ensuring the financial security of this company for years to come. Oh yes, and his personal hygiene is above reproach.” – Powell Motors Engineer

He can be annoying, but the unbelievable overreactions he generates from (some) otherwise good and reasonable posters borders on the insane.
I just want to make it clear that DeaconSlim does not fall in this category.

Soccer gives cards for dives if the referee sees it as a dive. So you're wrong there.

Has there been any dives in the worlds cup games yet?

How many yellows have been given out for diving?

It goes unpunished IMO.

Has there been any dives in the worlds cup games yet?

How many yellows have been given out for diving?

It goes unpunished IMO.

I haven't seen any flat out dives with no contact being made yet this World Cup.

I have seen 2 or 3 instances where contact is minimal and the player goes down like they have been shot though.

I haven't seen any flat out dives with no contact being made yet this World Cup.

I have seen 2 or 3 instances where contact is minimal and the player goes down like they have been shot though.

Marcelo's dive in the box in the waning minutes of the Mexico game was pretty bad, although he was being held around the shoulder.

Exactly, there was contact but he made the most of it. So not a full on dive, which is why the referee didn't book him. Losing the ball there by being a bitch was punishment enough.

Exactly, there was contact but he made the most of it. So not a full on dive, which is why the referee didn't book him. Losing the ball there by being a bitch was punishment enough.

Yeah, it seems to me that diving with a chance to score is not a good idea, yet these guys seemingly do it all the time.

Yeah, it seems to me that diving with a chance to score is not a good idea, yet these guys seemingly do it all the time.

I got why Fred did it vs Croatia, but Marcelo was by his man and had two options to cross to in front of goal, so that was just so stupid to go down there.

I think he should have been carded. Grabbing him by the shoulder and pulling him back wouldn't make him fall forward.

It strikes me as pretty rare that someone dives when there's literally no contact at all. It's obviously a judgment call, but it seems to me the standard should be whether someone is overtly embellishing to get a penalty. If it's as plain as the nose on your face, it should be a card. If it's questionable, play on.

I think he should have been carded. Grabbing him by the shoulder and pulling him back wouldn't make him fall forward.

It strikes me as pretty rare that someone dives when there's literally no contact at all. It's obviously a judgment call, but it seems to me the standard should be whether someone is overtly embellishing to get a penalty. If it's as plain as the nose on your face, it should be a card. If it's questionable, play on.

A lot harder to tell how embellished a fall is during live action than it is with the benefit of replay. And football's clock never stops moving (except HT, obviously), so video replay to see if a guy embellished or not isn't a realistic possibility.

Serious question: I don't follow soccer as closely as some of you all do, but I played it growing up and really enjoy watching it when I can. It seems to me that a good rule would be video review of every penalty kick call. Is that something that has been discussed in the professional leagues and World Cup?

Serious question: I don't follow soccer as closely as some of you all do, but I played it growing up and really enjoy watching it when I can. It seems to me that a good rule would be video review of every penalty kick call. Is that something that has been discussed in the professional leagues and World Cup?

Briefly mentioned, but it isn't getting much tread.

meh, replay sucks

I love the 7th grade girl analogy to the posters on this board. That's really rich considering who we're discussing.

I didn't ask for RJ to be banned. Who the hell can take a 7th grade girl seriously. Think about it. He tells me to off myself. I laugh at him. He claims I'm whining. I laugh at him again. Others call him out. He tells them he reserves the right to attack whenever he feels slighted to defend what he did. He's literally announcing that he'll pull the 7th grade girl power move if he thinks anyone is coming after him. Just one problem with that notion - folks have to give a shit for it to matter.

It was only after it was clear most thought he'd crossed a line that he said he was wrong. Another 7th grade girl move.

All he said was he preferred a bigger school. He didn't say anything bad about Wake.

What he said was totally innocuous and taking the high road.

I'm not the only one disagreeing with your characterization.

Siff, I guess over here you can take your tampons out and stop taking you Midol altogeher........once again you respond in calssless personal attacks when all that was said to you was that others agree with me.

my typing stinks.....if you want to play nice I don't say things like that. When you don't I will. If you start something, don't cry when you get hit back.

There's a really easy way to avoid it happening. Don't start anything.

Last edited:
Back