• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

U.S. reports malaria vaccine breakthrough

Well, any news on the malaria front is good news, but this isn't much of anything. Still at least a decade away, and still involves basically giving you malaria to stop you from getting malaria. To quote ELC, "meh."

Malaria during WWII is the reason my granddad couldn't handle tonic in his cocktails.

Well, any news on the malaria front is good news, but this isn't much of anything. Still at least a decade away, and still involves basically giving you malaria to stop you from getting malaria. To quote ELC, "meh."

so, like every other vaccine, then

or stated another way, yes, but that's an oversimplification

yes, I understand that it is different, but just reading your statement as is and having a basic understanding of vaccines makes your statement came across as silly.

Plus the Nature article has this gem:

"If you can carry semen into the deep Saharan belt and remote areas, why can't you do that for a human vaccine?" says Marcel Tanner, director of the Swiss Tropical and Public Health Institute in Basel, Switzerland, which is a sponsor of the trial in Tanzania.

Do people in the US get this still?

No. Though I do think I heard about 1 case in the last decade or so. This may be great news for Africa, India and whoever else, but the average American can give it a most apathetic "meh".

I forgot - vaccines typically take a week or two to develop. Meh.

seriously, pretty sure we've been working on a vaccine for malaria for like 200+ years

Jesus christ....

To clarify my statement from earlier, since people seem to be losing their shit over it, some newer experimental vaccines that target cancers (especially with increasing links between H. pylori and stomach cancer/herpes and cervical cancer) and their associated bacterial and viral roots are more therapeutic than prophylactic.

In the case of the majority of vaccines that give you some varied (dead, smaller, recombinant, etc.) version of the bug, it's a challenge to make these kinds of vaccines for viruses that have rapidly and vastly mutating strains, such as HIV and influenza. The same can be said (though to a lesser extent) about malaria.

I was hopeful before reading this that they were attempting something closer to an experimental vaccine along the lines of cancer vaccines rather than the same tried and failed methods of the past 100 years or so.

Admittedly, it came out sounding dumb.

And also I'll admit that any progress towards such a deadly infectious disease is good progress. However, working in the research community (on the publishing side, not the science side) I read about "breakthroughs" every single day of the week and admittedly get jaded about the word. I don't mean to purport more understanding about this vaccine or vaccines in general than I actually have, so I'll step away now.

Carry on.

Back