• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

U.S. Standard of Living has dropped 57% in 40 years

Short answer: yes. But you also have to take into account the fact that your health care gets you more effective treatment, and your insurance buys you better drugs. But yes, health care, college, and energy have all outstripped the rate of inflation. Energy is unavoidable. Health care has a litany of causes. I would argue that the federal government bears a large burden of responsibility for the increasing cost of tuition.

well, without getting into who is to blame, it sounds like we agree that there are some issues offsetting, to one degree or another, the increased utility factor.

Now, how does high systemic unemployment play into this? Contrary to most of 1970-2000, we now have a situation where around 7.6% of the population is unemployed. Another, unknown percentage of otherwise productive people has given up looking for work and/or have gotten on disability. Some say that if you include this "shadow" unemployment, you get closer to 16-18% unemployment. Labor force participation is at an all time low. There are 3 people looking for jobs for every one job available, which is crazy high. American's dependence on government benefits for their income has doubled, as a share of income, since 1969 according to this link (which was the best I could find on short notice): http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2012/02/12/us/entitlement-map.html?_r=0 I think we can all agree that having that many people reliant on government benefits is not good, although no doubt there will be disagreement over the causes of that reliance. According to this story (which attributes the number to the Census Bureau) only 36 percent of government benefits flow to the bottom quintile of households. http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/12/us/even-critics-of-safety-net-increasingly-depend-on-it.html Most of it goes to the middle class - people with jobs.

Does anyone know whether the income numbers as generally quoted include income from government benefits? According to the story linked above, if you exclude government benefits, per capita income excluding government benefits fell 3 percent nationally, inflation adjusted, between 2000-2010.

More fodder for TR

wealth-distribution-USA.png

this thread reminds me of a recent Mad Men episode where I think Don was talking to Megan. It was a long distance call that lasted about a minute and a half and she ended it by saying, "OK, this is costing a fortune. We'll talk when you get back," or something of that nature. Cracked me up because I remember those days.

Interesting.... Could it be that someone is lying about the unemployment rate? Is it possibly higher than they say?

Okun.jpg

Back