• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Uber

BillBrasky

#PSF
Reaction score
What are you thoughts on it? I'm personally very conflicted about it, and have decided to no longer use it. However I don't feel bad for taxi drivers, as they are horribly inefficient in most cities and I was pumped that they finally got sone competition.

I like the competition for cabs but Uber bent me over for $125 on Saturday night after my car service cancelled on me last minute. Fuck Carmel (their number is 666 for a reason).

sucks to see it imploding b/c i really liked using it.

Is the implosion because of treatment of drivers or the dickishness of the CEO? I only read the occasional article about Uber. I didn't realize things had gotten so serious.

Uber's latest round of financing (within the last month) valued the company at $40 Billion.

Uber is this decade's Napster.

Regardless of how it turns out for them in particular, the cab industry put itself on a collision course with technology. Serious disruption was inevitable.

Used it Saturday night. $30 bucks to go ~15 miles to the party, $75 to go home at 1am. That was...disappointing.

I'll probably continue to use it because cabs suck when you live in the suburbs.

What's the word on Lyft and other Uber non-city cab competitors? Seems like a real moment for them to step in.

Used it Saturday night. $30 bucks to go ~15 miles to the party, $75 to go home at 1am. That was...disappointing.

I'll probably continue to use it because cabs suck when you live in the suburbs.

So it was cheaper than a DUI.

Doesn't their business model specifically rely on variable, demand-driven pricing? When you use it, do you find out the cost after the fact or can you at least ballpark it beforehand?

Doesn't their business model specifically rely on variable, demand-driven pricing? When you use it, do you find out the cost after the fact or can you at least ballpark it beforehand?

Yes.

The most annoying thing about Uber is people bitching about how expensive it is.

Yes.

The most annoying thing about Uber is people bitching about how expensive it is.

Well I was hammered on the ride home, but I do remember not being able to find a fare estimator for the second ride. I definitely saw one on the first.

The disappointing comment was more about how I was drunk and didn't care enough to ask the driver about the price because I was ready to go home and wasn't thinking straight. I knew it was going to be a lot more than the original ride.

But yeah, I'll continue to pay more because it takes about 5 minutes to find a ride through Uber while cab companies will estimate 20-25 minutes and then show up 45 minutes later. If Uber is today's Napster, I will gladly thank them for at least breaking through and paving the way for a better transportation system.

Well I was hammered on the ride home, but I do remember not being able to find a fare estimator for the second ride. I definitely saw one on the first.

The disappointing comment was more about how I was drunk and didn't care enough to ask the driver about the price because I was ready to go home and wasn't thinking straight. I knew it was going to be a lot more than the original ride.

But yeah, I'll continue to pay more because it takes about 5 minutes to find a ride through Uber while cab companies will estimate 20-25 minutes and then show up 45 minutes later. If Uber is today's Napster, I will gladly thank them for at least breaking through and paving the way for a better transportation system.

I mean, drunk Uber remorse is definitely understandable. But as soon as you choose "set pickup location" there is a fair estimator right there.

UberX really ramped up the crazy though. I do love that Uber was just settling into an uncomfortable equilibrium with cabs and then they break out UberX and now everything is nuts. They may screw up a lot but they have balls...

I've used Lyft as a backup. Their footprint isn't nearly as big, but Uber's surge pricing is pretty cray at times.

"Uber briefly introduced surge pricing up to four times the normal rate in Sydney on Monday during an armed hostage siege in its central business district that upended the city.

When first contacted by the media, Uber appeared to defend the move by noting the fare hike is algorithmic, based on demand for rides outstripping the supply. A little more than an hour later, the company shifted into reverse and began refunding rides to Sydney customers and offering free rides to others in the area. That was undoubtedly the right move from a PR perspective, but one that came a crucial hour or two too late.

The reaction from media outlets around the world was swift and damning. "Uber drives into Sydney hostage controversy," read a Financial Times headline. "Uber offers free rides to make up for its idiotic response to Sydney’s hostage crisis."

So how does Uber toe the line between "algorithmic pricing" and "gouging?"

Based on Sydney, the answer seems to be "poorly."

Back