• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Uganda - issues or concerns for teen visitor?

AMCDeac

Richard Joyce
Reaction score
So apparently the White Nile River in Uganda is some of the best paddling in the world but a dam is about to destroy that forever (or so long as the dam is there). My daughter has an invite to paddle it this Spring with some of the best white water kayakers in the world. So we are thinking about letting her go, maybe with her mom tagging along or maybe just with some of the women coaches as her chaperone.

Is that too sketchy place for Western women and girls to travel? Any thoughts on what else we need to consider in terms of safety before we green light the trip?

https://vimeo.com/129855829 - guessing the efforts at political pressure and influence didn't work

Last edited:
Contact the State Department. They have travel advisories and give info about how to deal with issues and cultures while travelling.

LrXkpcI.jpg

Contact the State Department. They have travel advisories and give info about how to deal with issues and cultures while travelling.

Just be aware that State Department advisories are usually very broad and cautious.

I did Kenya back in 2006 and it was a pretty bad time to travel over there. Never really felt threatened but we took no chances being out past 5:30pm. Id reach out to Tejas as I believe he lived in Kenya for a good while and probably has more info than most on that region.

If you need any information you can PM me, most of the global health work I do is in Eastern Africa; Ethiopia, Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania.

My father traveled there on a mission trip 2 years ago and felt very safe. He was in a very rural area. Anecdotal evidence I know, but that is all I got.

#notanexpert

I've rafted the White Nile (it IS a ton of fun). I was on a day trip from Kampala with coworkers. Jinja is a decent-sized city and a common tourist spot. If she sticks to groups/doesn't do stupid shit, then I feel like any danger is reasonably mitigated. But, you know, it's world travel so things can and do happen (although my concerns are more along the lines of getting robbed, not getting abducted/sold into slavery). Other than not doing stupid shit, you may consider getting short-term travel insurance that includes medical evacuation. Not because it's Uganda, but because it's smart and paddling sounds dangerous. Based on hospital visits, I would NOT want to be taken anywhere in the region if I were seriously injured. We would bring our students to Europe/back to the USA if anything beyond stitches was required.

I'd say do it. Sounds like an awesome experience!

Last edited:
Back