• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

UHD TV Advice?

AMCDeac

Richard Joyce
Reaction score
Anyone have an updated advice on these? Looking for 65 inch screen. (I like the curved screen since it will go in a corner, otherwise I would lean against UHD.) Costco seems to have some good deals. Anyone have thoughts on the other discount clubs? (Admittedly, an easy set up for BJ jokes). Wait till November? Any advise on what to look out for in deciding (features I need to make sure are there?). I hate the Mitsubishi DLP I currently have up there. Thanks for any thoughts.

Don't know what happened to the thread title - iPad errors I suppose

Do you have the capability to feed UHD to your TV? That was (and still is) the main issue to adopting this tech.

If you only have a few Blurays and don't have close to gigabit internet, then it's not worth the investment now

Do you have the capability to feed UHD to your TV? That was (and still is) the main issue to adopting this tech.

If you only have a few Blurays and don't have close to gigabit internet, then it's not worth the investment now

Plus you can't really tell the difference between 1080p and 4K.

I have gig internet service - wired and wireless. Only real advantage I am seeing is the curved screen which will work better in the corner location.

I have a plasma, so I'm pretty happy until OLED 4k sets are lower in price.

Wait two months for Black Friday
Eh, Black Friday sales are usually bottom end models. Thats a great way to get a big cheap tv, not the best way to get a good tv. Better to do research, find a few models that match your criteria and then track those prices.

If I recall, the best deals on TV's don't show up until January/February.

Eh, Black Friday sales are usually bottom end models. Thats a great way to get a big cheap tv, not the best way to get a good tv. Better to do research, find a few models that match your criteria and then track those prices.

I'm sure he could find a great deal on a well-reviewed curved Samsung TV on Black Friday.

If I recall, the best deals on TV's don't show up until January/February.

Yes, after CES when the new models are introduced.

Don't get a curved screen. It's a gimmick and most experts have found that it distorts the image.

HDR is a more of a game changer than 4k. There are two formats for HDR: HDR10 and Dolby Vision. LG and Vizio are the only manufactures that carry both formats. https://www.cnet.com/news/what-is-hdr-for-tvs-and-why-should-you-care/ . You need like an 80' TV to tell the difference between 4K and 1080P and even than the difference is minimal.

Last edited:
Yes, after CES when the new models are introduced.

Don't get a curved screen. It's a gimmick and most experts have found that it distorts the image.

HDR is a more of a game changer than 4k. There are two formats for HDR: HDR10 and Dolby Vision. LG and Vizio are the only manufactures that carry both formats. https://www.cnet.com/news/what-is-hdr-for-tvs-and-why-should-you-care/ . You need like an 80' TV to tell the difference between 4K and 1080P and even than the difference is minimal.

Good advice, thanks. Studying up on the curve feature and I agree I don't need/want the curve. Appreciate all the other comments, as well.

I'm sure he could find a great deal on a well-reviewed curved Samsung TV on Black Friday.
Maybe. The black Friday sales usually aren't for models that had been selling well in the store recently, it's models that are in surplus. That goes all the way down to the cheap stuff like tablets. I know from talking to a Best Buy salesman that they bring in offbrand cheap shit to sell on black Friday that they never keep in stock normally.

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

Maybe. The black Friday sales usually aren't for models that had been selling well in the store recently, it's models that are in surplus. That goes all the way down to the cheap stuff like tablets. I know from talking to a Best Buy salesman that they bring in offbrand cheap shit to sell on black Friday that they never keep in stock normally.

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

Aka Doorbusters

Plus you can't really tell the difference between 1080p and 4K.

Same is true for 720p vs 1080i in most scenarios... but, granted, on a 65'', it would make an actual (but barely noticeable) difference from the most common viewing distances.

4k isn't the dumbest attempt at marketing a TV 'improvement' the past decade, but it's close.

The LG 70 inch at Costco looks pretty good. Hoping I can find it on sale to knock a bit more off the price.

Back