• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ukraine is game to you?

Nevermind...just checked forex data. Looking like a minimum of a 50% devaluation. Jesus.

Are Russian soldiers checking their Forex accounts? No idea.

Ruble to yuan isn’t doing so well either.

One flip side to “We don’t know who to shoot because they look like us” is it’s a lot easier for Russian soldiers to become deserters and hide in Ukraine than white soldiers in the Middle East.

Given this board is made up entirely of people who graduated from wake over a decade ago I feel relatively comfortable assuming the board is 98% white people

Yeah. It’s pretty amazing how much less diverse this board is compared to the also not diverse Facebook group. Also there are only a few women posters here and plenty on Facebook.

One flip side to “We don’t know who to shoot because they look like us” is it’s a lot easier for Russian soldiers to become deserters and hide in Ukraine than white soldiers in the Middle East.

Also reminds me of the problems the Americans have had in Vietnam and some of the Middle Eastern conflicts where the enemy would just "blend in" to society.

Curious what happens to a fighting force that learns their salaries have become worthless just 3 days into an invasion.

Of course they aren't checking it, but if they found out the money they were being paid all of a sudden was worthless , or that their family back home might be broke all of a sudden, maybe it helps them desert.

So how are they going to find out? That’s the key question. I don’t know. Are Ukrainians shouting exchange rates from the rooftops?

I do know that there’s a long international legacy of poor people fighting wars on behalf of oligarchs and dictators so I’m not sure we can bank on that.

Make no mistake though, this level of punitive economic sabotage is total war - innocent civilians are going to be the main victims. Thousands of people are going to die as a result of this, the same as they would have died of a bullet. All we can do is hope that Putin and the state controlling oligarchs care about the survival of the Russian populace.

It's not implausible that they may shout it from the rooftops. In the past leaflets have been dropped on enemy forces with all kinds of propaganda.

You can bet someone is trying to find a way to get that info out, or get the video of the protests in Moscow in front of soldiers.

So how are they going to find out? That’s the key question. I don’t know. Are Ukrainians shouting exchange rates from the rooftops?

I do know that there’s a long international legacy of poor people fighting wars on behalf of oligarchs and dictators so I’m not sure we can bank on that.

I don't remember if I read it here or somewhere on Twitter, but the UA is letting Russian POWs call their families. Very smart move in that it gets uncensored info back to Russia that a) the Ukrainians aren't genocidal, neo-nazi drug addicts and b) that the war is not going as well as Russian media is probably portraying it.

Being able to talk to their families and hear about the situation back home (e.g., how the Ruble is worthless and the economy is an even bigger dumpster fire than before because of this war) could make Russian POWs more likely to cooperate and participate in Ukrainian propaganda campaigns.

Apparently, anon also hacked into some Russian TV show and started broadcasting footage of burnt out Russian columns and Russian KIAs.

Make no mistake though, this level of punitive economic sabotage is total war - innocent civilians are going to be the main victims. Thousands of people are going to die as a result of this, the same as they would have died of a bullet. All we can do is hope that Putin and the state controlling oligarchs care about the survival of the Russian populace.

They don’t, but it increases the chance Putin is taken out in a coup/revolution.

Do you have an option in mind that will only punish the oligarchs and warmongers and elevate innocent civilians?

Where to see the premarket Ruble/USD info?

Do you have an option in mind that will only punish the oligarchs and warmongers and elevate innocent civilians?

No, it’s just good to remember that devaluing currency is like the opposite of a targeted strike, it actually hurts the most vulnerable citizens much more than the ultra rich - it’s the same economic principle that measures the impact of flat taxation vs progressive taxation.

No, it’s just good to remember that devaluing currency is like the opposite of a targeted strike, it actually hurts the most vulnerable citizens much more than the ultra rich - it’s the same economic principle that measures the impact of flat taxation vs progressive taxation.

I don’t think there’s anyone here who doesn’t know that. I’d prefer the world fixed inequality before punishing Russia but that’s not going to happen.

In other news, Ukrainians are preventing Indians and Africans from fleeing the country.

https://www.opindia.com/2022/02/africans-say-they-are-facing-racial-discrimination-in-ukraine/

Poland border force spokesperson had said they were allowing anyone to enter Poland from Ukraine. A similar problem was faced by Indian students stranded at the Poland-Ukraine border. Reportedly, the Indian students have not been allowed the cross the border and were told, “When your govt has not cooperated with us, why should we cooperate with you?”

Another user Nzekiev said Africans were the last to be allowed to board any train. He said, “In the train stations here in Kyiv, children first, women second, white men third, then the remaining is occupied by Africans. This means that we have waited for many hours for trains here & couldn’t enter because of this. The majority of Africans are still waiting to get to Lviv.”

Back