• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ukraine is game to you?

Interest rate moved to 20% by the Russian central bank hoping to stabilize the Ruble. Stock market didn't open today. Ruble off 30% vs the dollar.

Next move by Putin?

1 - Escalate

2 - Look for an escape hatch

I think he goes door #1.

Last edited:
Maybe he is seriously ill and immunocompromised. Would perhaps explain some of his hasty analysis/actions.

Yeah. I posted something like that earlier in the thread. These are the actions of someone who is trying to act while he still has time.

the nuclear high alert reporting rings a bit hollow when you realize how many nuclear weapons are always already on high alert

would be interested in learning about russian nuclear decision making if anyone here knows anything

Haven't you watched movies? Just like those.

the nuclear high alert reporting rings a bit hollow when you realize how many nuclear weapons are always already on high alert

There are two types of nukes - strategic (long range) and tactical (short range and not always on alert). Russia's deterrent policy was changed a few years back to allow the offensive use of nuclear weapons. And no one has more tactical nukes than Russia. They have about 2000 warheads. That's 9-10x as many as the US. It's also why Belarus should just be put on all the same sanctions as Russia.
So I don't think it rings hollow for the reasons you've cited. I just think he has other options to create massive damage short of using tactical nukes.

I'll believe it when I see it. This rings as hollow as the same companies saying they wouldn't fund Republicans anymore after 1/6.

Yep.

would be interested in learning about russian nuclear decision making if anyone here knows anything

vad hasn't been around lately. I think his wife does nuclear disarmament work and he knows a lot about it.

Not what I think you're looking for but a bit more detail on what experts believe was meant. Sounds like Russia has 4 levels of nuclear readiness and this may just be level 2. Not sure what the actual levels mean or what the process is.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-60559574

Interest rate moved to 20% by the Russian central bank hoping to stabilize the Ruble. Stock market didn't open today. Ruble off 30% vs the dollar.

Next move by Putin?

1 - Escalate

I think he goes door #1.

I'm thinking someone better spike his coffee soon because this could get much, much uglier (nuclear) than it already is.
That Commie bastard is not backing down.

Next move by Putin?

1 - Escalate

I think he goes door #1.

Welp. That didn't take long. Reports are that cluster bombs are now being used in crowded civilian areas.

Yeah. I posted something like that earlier in the thread. These are the actions of someone who is trying to act while he still has time.

That makes as much sense as anything else, but nothing really makes much sense about this to me yet.

This whole thing has felt like a massive blunder from the beginning, and I have never been able to comprehend the upside of invading Ukraine. Russia already has Crimea, and they could have deployed "peacekeepers" to Lugansk and Donetsk without much resistance from the rest of Europe and the US, so why strike at Kyiv, Kharkiv, etc.? He must have been counting on slight Ukrainian resistance, but why on earth would someone think that an army fighting on its home soil won't resist? I just don't get it.

I've read that Russian demands at the peace talks were (1) recognition by Ukraine of Russia's annexation of Crimea, (2) "de-nazification" of Ukrainian government (by which I read, "regime change"), and (3) Ukrainian commitment to neutrality. He doesn't really need (1), (2) isn't something that any government would willing agree to under any circumstances, and he probably could have gotten (3) without an invasion outside of Crimea and the Donbass. Now that he's invaded, he will never get (1) or (3) unless he forces (2) at gunpoint, and there's little chance that will de-escalate anything internationally.

All I can figure is, sometimes people in heavy echo chambers make big mistakes, and maybe that's what we're witnessing. It's a real tragedy that people have to die for such stupidity.

Last edited:
Back