• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

UNC Football Player Michael McAdoo's Paper Was Plagerized

Its been a long long time since I wrote a paper but the boys over at IC say there is nothing improper about this. They are saying that it is perfectly allowable to lift entire passages of other works,word for word, as long as you cite and footnote.

Definitely not allowed in my era...but they have a couple of lawyers over there describing how it is a normal practice that they themselves employed while in school.

A potential problem may arise from the "Swahili" classes...it appears that these classes were "athletes only"...with hoops guys and football players. A 'mass pass class' as it were.

Last edited:
If you're going to plagerize, at least have the common sense to reword the plagerization so it's not so obvious, I seriously doubt that paragraph jived with the rest of the paper and McAdoo's writing style.

If you're going to plagerize, at least have the common sense to reword the plagerization so it's not so obvious, I seriously doubt that paragraph jived with the rest of the paper and McAdoo's writing style.

“Uh, well, like I say, I’d, , uh, I guess we’re referring to the Swahili 402 paper and my, so I’m just gonna start by saying, I wasn’t assigned to that tutor at first. I had another tutor so i mean I worked on the paper but when, um when it got toward the end I sent her the paper or whatever and she reached out and I mean, just help like that.
“I just wanted her to look over my work. Check it for grammar, make sure my ideas made sense and check my citations so I would not be plagiarizing.”
lol

Its been a long long time since I wrote a paper but the boys over at IC say there is nothing improper about this. They are saying that it is perfectly allowable to lift entire passages of other works,word for word, as long as you cite and footnote.

Clearly most of those people have never been to high school, let alone college.

I wonder if he knows how to spell the word "plagiarize."

Definitely not allowed in my era...but they have a couple of lawyers over there describing how it is a normal practice that they themselves employed while in school.

A potential problem may arise from the "Swahili" classes...it appears that these classes were "athletes only"...with hoops guys and football players. A 'mass pass class' as it were.

The problem is, I don't think he cited everything and nothing is in quotations or block quotes. You can't just cite some paper in a works cited, then copy and paste whole sections throughout. That may have flown at UNC Law, but it certainly didn't at Wake Law.

In something equally surprising, the sun will set in the west today.

There's a great part of the paper posted on PackPride where he references "Mohammedans" several times. Incredible stuff.

You are correct, and the tactic I used was to cite the hell out of everything. For a 5 page paper I would have as many as 25 citations. Anything remotely related to another's work. Plus, made it much easier to write papers when you can just cut and paste with a segue sentence here and there............

UNC education at its finest.

if he did in fact cite it I could see the case for an argument that he was just stupid and didnt know you had to block quote direct passages.

if he did in fact cite it I could see the case for an argument that he was just stupid and didnt know you had to block quote direct passages.

Well we know he is stupid.

From wikipedia: "Plagiarism is defined in dictionaries as the "wrongful appropriation," "close imitation," or "purloining and publication" of another author's "language, thoughts, ideas, or expressions," and the representation of them as one's own original work"

I would say that McAdoo definitely purloined from several authors.

He did block quote. He referred to the block quote as "my paper"

LOL

This whole scenario is so awesome. Baddour is basically stepping up to the plate for their crappy football program and saying this is acceptable at UNC. Basically proving that an education from their is worthless. This is pretty epic. They are all not going to have a job very soon.

Of course there are plenty of really good students at UNC that do stuff the correct way, and they should all be ashamed and demand Baddour and the rest of these goons be fired ASAP. So much awesomeness coming from the dumpster fire that is UNC.

He plagiarized from a book written in 1911. That is awesome.

Back