• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Underground Raleigh

RicoSuave

Reaction score
http://goodnightraleigh.com/2008/07/the-raleigh-underground-a-lost-phenomenon/

This is a fascinating story. Are any of you old enough to have gone to Underground Raleigh (below Cameron Village shopping center) before it closed? I guess I was younger than 10 when I would go shopping with Mom at Cameron Village, and I thought the Underground entrance was the coolest thing ever. Everytime I asked to go down there and look around, Mom would just say "we don't go down there, thats a bad place". Of course my parents were tee-totalers so that explains her aversion to a basement full of bars. I've heard of the Pier and Deja Vu, but I did not realize the legendary artists that had performed there over the years. REM made 2 stops there on their first tour, the Ramones, Black Flag, etc. The bars there had also hosted a pretty strong group of jazz and blues artists too.

Does Raleigh even have a small venue for up-and-coming bands anymore, or is it all arenas and local bands playing in small bars?

http://goodnightraleigh.com/2008/07/the-raleigh-underground-a-lost-phenomenon/

This is a fascinating story. Are any of you old enough to have gone to Underground Raleigh (below Cameron Village shopping center) before it closed? I guess I was younger than 10 when I would go shopping with Mom at Cameron Village, and I thought the Underground entrance was the coolest thing ever. Everytime I asked to go down there and look around, Mom would just say "we don't go down there, thats a bad place". Of course my parents were tee-totalers so that explains her aversion to a basement full of bars. I've heard of the Pier and Deja Vu, but I did not realize the legendary artists that had performed there over the years. REM made 2 stops there on their first tour, the Ramones, Black Flag, etc. The bars there had also hosted a pretty strong group of jazz and blues artists too.

Does Raleigh even have a small venue for up-and-coming bands anymore, or is it all arenas and local bands playing in small bars?

Red Hat Amphitheater is relatively small, Lincoln Theater, Kings gets a few good acts (and def isn't all local bands).

Good times indeed. Slim's is another local place as well as the Pour House. Both have good shows. Nothing like the days of the Underground or sometimes called the Subway. Seeing Mike Cross or Arrogance or the Fabulous Knobs at The Pier or Bear's Den was awesome.

Used to see some shows at the Disco Rodeo/Ritz, but apparently that is all latino music now.

The Ritz has shows. They've actually had several recently.

Red Hat Amphitheater is relatively small, Lincoln Theater, Kings gets a few good acts (and def isn't all local bands).

King's is Raleigh's version of the Cats Cradle. Frank(owner of the Cradle) even sends a lot of his promoted shows to King's. Slim's also hosts up and coming locals and touring bands.

King's is Raleigh's version of the Cats Cradle. Frank(owner of the Cradle) even sends a lot of his promoted shows to King's. Slim's also hosts up and coming locals and touring bands.

The Pour House isn't bad either.

Calling King's Raleigh's versions of the Cats Cradle is a fair assessment, but a little too strong. King's is way smaller and has a much different feel. Cat's Cradle is somewhere between King's and Lincoln Theater.

Slim's is an awesome bar, but it holds about 50 people once the stage is set up. King's, Lincoln Theater, and the Pour House are a bit larger. Lincoln I would guess is a little bit smaller than Cat's Cradle in terms of capacity. I was not impressed with the around quality at The Ritz thelast time I was there.

Slim's is an awesome bar, but it holds about 50 people once the stage is set up. King's, Lincoln Theater, and the Pour House are a bit larger. Lincoln I would guess is a little bit smaller than Cat's Cradle in terms of capacity. I was not impressed with the around quality at The Ritz thelast time I was there.

I think cats cradle is ~725 and Lincoln is 800.

Kings holds like 250 and pour house slightly more.

Last edited:
Lincoln Theater is my favorite. Cats Cradle gets the best acts, but it's not a very good place to see a show. The Ritz is absolutely awful, but it's the only place in the Triangle with that mid-range capacity (ie, more than Lincoln Theater, but less than Downtown Raleigh Ampitheater/Koka Booth or Memorial Auditorium/DPAC).

Last edited:
Good times indeed. Slim's is another local place as well as the Pour House. Both have good shows. Nothing like the days of the Underground or sometimes called the Subway. Seeing Mike Cross or Arrogance or the Fabulous Knobs at The Pier or Bear's Den was awesome.

Loved the Knobs and Debra Demilo; also caught jazz/fusion 3PM on numerous occasions at The Pier.

Back