• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Universal remote controls

WFU71

Older than Dirt
Reaction score
Looking for a reliable and easy to use universal remote control that my wife can master (insert sleazy tag here). I use an Universal mx-500, but it's too complex for her.

Minimum requirements are control of three devices (cox cable box, tv and audio receiver). There are also two other components (DVD player and Multi CD player), but I can use the mx-500 for those, if necessary. I lean towards learning remotes with macro capabilities, but again simplicity trumps flexibility when it comes to my wife and electronics.

Any recommendations?

The Logitech Harmony remotes are great, and easy to use so long as someone understands how to program them. I've had one for at least five years and it has been great. I got a lower end model for my parents a few years back (they are not at all tech savvy), and they've had no problems with it either. However, they have just completely redesigned the Harmony line, and I can't tell you how the new ones are.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004OVECU0/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I think it's the cheapest one on there but it's also really good. Simple (press "Watch TV" and it does everything for you) and has a help button that will walk the user through yes/no questions to fix anything.

Setting up the remote is pretty easy too, just write down the model numbers for whatever you use then input them into the computer program that sets up the remote. After you add the individual devices, you choose what you use to watch TV, watch DVDs, listen to music, etc. For example my setup is:
Watch TV - TV for viewing, cable box for content, audio receiver for sound
DVD - TV for viewing, XBox One for content, audio receiver for sound
Music - receiver for sound only
Play game - TV for viewing, XBox One for content, audio receiver for sound

Last edited:
The Logitech Harmony remotes are great, and easy to use so long as someone understands how to program them. I've had one for at least five years and it has been great. I got a lower end model for my parents a few years back (they are not at all tech savvy), and they've had no problems with it either. However, they have just completely redesigned the Harmony line, and I can't tell you how the new ones are.
second this! i have the harmony650 and love it, got one for my parents as well who are not tech savvy and they love it. look on ebay/amazon and see if you can find an older model, they still get the job done and are cheap

I have an Acoustic Research X-Sight Color ARRX15G that my wife gave me a few years back that's pretty simple to operate if you actually try. She bought it from woot for like $30 but I'm having trouble finding it online right now

I realize that's only marginally helpful but if you can find it for $30 it's hard to beat.

ETA it does have learning and macros FWIW

The harmony remotes are the shit

The new ones have a hub that allows you to hook up everything in a closet and it still works

I've had a Harmony One for a few years and love it. It was preceded by a Harmony 800 (IIRC), which lasted 3-4 years.

I've had a harmony 520 for around 10 years. Great remote. Not too hard to program and even easier to use.

I've had a Harmony One for a few years and love it. It was preceded by a Harmony 800 (IIRC), which lasted 3-4 years.

Most people think the Harmony One is the best remote they ever made, and I have to say I probably agree. The new versions are missing some critical buttons in an effort to be smaller - apparently Logitech is/was planning on selling off the entire Harmony line.

The One is the perfect combo of real buttons and a screen. Or the 900 if you want RF and repeaters. I picked up a refurbished One instead of getting any of the new ones after trying them out.

Back