• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

US Airways/American Airlines merger -"talks in advanced stages"

give me a direct sfo->tpa flight. amazes me i can fly direct to orlando but not tampa.

probs. virgin flies to orl. i am flying american when i go home for opening day because a houston connection is the most direct route.

give me a direct sfo->tpa flight. amazes me i can fly direct to orlando but not tampa.

Orlando is a much larger market from San Francisco than Tampa. Average passengers/day from SFO to Orlando was around 387/day each way, while Tampa was only 189.4/day. Average fares for Tampa were also a lower than Orlando ($227 Orlando one-way, $210 Tampa one-way). It's a long thin route that Virgin America might eventually enter, but that's about it (United can easily route the connecting traffic over Denver and/or Houston).

As for my thoughts on the merger, good news for most of the Carolinas. Might be some frequency reduction to Charlotte (ie going from 6 flights/day to 5), but should open up further routes to Miami where American has just built a great new terminal, as well as the possibility of some increases to Dallas.

The US Airways maintenance department has been stockpiling parts for the American fleet for months now.

Word I'm hearing is that the merged airline will be keeping the hideous American Airlines livery.

My one real concern is that I really want the frequent flyer program to stay with US Air.

Won't this merger just expand the Frequent Flyer Program?

Won't this merger just expand the Frequent Flyer Program?

They will be leaving the Star Alliance and joining One World. Also, zero chance that US Airways Dividend Miles will be treated on a 1 for 1 basis when transferred to the American Aadvantage club.

One good thing that will come out of this is that American will finally be dumping their MD80 fleet and replacing it with the much nicer and newer A320 planes that US Airways uses.

One World program sucks. So, basically US Airways will bail them out, will put in their Execs, but will cave into everything else that is AMR.

As far as CLT goes, I think they ultimately will cease almost all direct international flights. There's just too many options via the AA hubs in Miami and New York for the new airline to use Charlotte for direct flights to London and the Caribbean.

As far as CLT goes, I think they ultimately will cease almost all direct international flights. There's just too many options via the AA hubs in Miami and New York for the new airline to use Charlotte for direct flights to London and the Caribbean.

That is bad news if true. I haven't used it yet but certainly have been eyeing the direct flights out of Charlotte to the Caribbean.

Does this mean I don't have to pay off my US Airways Master Card?

I'll be pissed if this affects my FF miles.

Best thing about US Air is the in-flight internet. Can't believe United still hasn't stepped up to the plate yet.

Ugh that better not happen. We've spent way too much money on the airport and its become so freaking easy to fly about anywhere in the world from Charlotte. Really hope they don't mess that up. Probably possible that Phily takes it on the chin as opposed to CLT, but who knows.

Ugh that better not happen. We've spent way too much money on the airport and its become so freaking easy to fly about anywhere in the world from Charlotte. Really hope they don't mess that up. Probably possible that Phily takes it on the chin as opposed to CLT, but who knows.

You'll still be able to get anywhere you want, you'll just be connecting way more often in Miami.

Worst case scenario is CLT becomes like the Pittsburgh airport, which spent millions on upgrades at the turn of the century only to be relegated to small time regional hub.

I've got a quarter million miles I need to use soon because I don't want to get hosed when the FF programs finally merge. We will likely get a 12-18 month grace period before the merger of those programs are complete.

Best thing about US Air is the in-flight internet. Can't believe United still hasn't stepped up to the plate yet.

United has in flight DirecTV now and many of their 757 and long haul international fleet already have internet. Agree that it has taken way too long to happen.

You'll still be able to get anywhere you want, you'll just be connecting way more often in Miami.

I've got a quarter million miles I need to use soon because I don't want to get hosed when the FF programs finally merge. We will likely get a 12-18 month grace period before the merger of those programs are complete.

Right. As of now, you can get to most of Europe direct from CLT which is awesome.

Flying into Miami from from the Caribbean sucks...just sucks the life out of your vacation

Also, I was about to open a US Air MasterCard, but might hold out now. Thoughts?

That is bad news if true. I haven't used it yet but certainly have been eyeing the direct flights out of Charlotte to the Caribbean.

That sucks if it changes, we use the Charlotte to Caribbean flights at least once a year. Tough to beat a 2-hour direct international flight to a great vacation destination, especially when traveling with kids.

Back