• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

US Coast Guard Sinks Ghost Ship from Tsunami

It sank into waters more than 6,000 feet deep, about 180 miles west of the southeast Alaska coast, the Coast Guard said.

just reading that statement makes me uncomfortable. The idea of 6000 feet of water below me is terrifying.

Smooth move, now we'll have to deal with these guys.

pc_096GeoffreyRush.jpg

It sank into waters more than 6,000 feet deep, about 180 miles west of the southeast Alaska coast, the Coast Guard said.

just reading that statement makes me uncomfortable. The idea of 6000 feet of water below me is terrifying.

And then to know that movie director James Cameron just recently traveled down to 35,000 feet below sea level, solo. Unreal! That takes some serious balls.

On of the greatest thrills I've ever had is tying up to a mooring ball off Little Cayman in about 20 ft of water. You enter the water and the coral reef is just stunning. So you take a few good kicks towards the edge and it's like soaring out off the edge of a skyscrapper. 4,000 ft straight down. Perfectly vertical wall. The clear blue fades to a black darkness you can't describe.

Anyway, this is just what the ocean needs. More fucking garbage in it. More diesel-fuel leaking garbage.

If it was set to be scrapped I wouldn't think that it had a whole lot of fuel left in the tank.

If it was set to be scrapped I wouldn't think that it had a whole lot of fuel left in the tank.

Officials decided to sink the ship rather than risk the chance of it running aground or endangering other vessels in the busy shipping lanes between North America and Asia.
The ship had no lights or communications system, and its tank was able to carry more than 2,000 gallons of diesel fuel. Officials, however, didn't know how much fuel, if any, was aboard.

Sounds like they had no idea about what its status was wrt fuel.

Right. They had no idea but it was moored up and set to be scrapped. I'm sure part of that process is to drain tanks. I just wonder where in the process they were.

On of the greatest thrills I've ever had is tying up to a mooring ball off Little Cayman in about 20 ft of water. You enter the water and the coral reef is just stunning. So you take a few good kicks towards the edge and it's like soaring out off the edge of a skyscrapper. 4,000 ft straight down. Perfectly vertical wall. The clear blue fades to a black darkness you can't describe.

Anyway, this is just what the ocean needs. More fucking garbage in it. More diesel-fuel leaking garbage.

Mind blowing!! Kinda of scary, but soooo cool. I went back and forth several times just to get a grip with it.

And 94, the ship was already in dry dock for scrap, so no fuel issues.

First off, if there was fuel still on board you are right about putting more crap into the water.

However, you speak of the beautiful coral reefs that you enjoyed but there are quite a few man made reefs created by sinking old ships as a base for growth.

Was it just cost prohibitive to take it somewhere to scrap the metal/steel or was this just the path of least resistance?

As morbid as it is, I almost think it would have been cool to have Japan reclaim it, build something crazy with the steel and show it as a sign of their rebuilding or something

That video footage was a major letdown. When I read "poured cannon fire into into", I got excited. Bummer.

Back