• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

US is the world's top oil and natural gas producer

That's kind of disingenuous. Venezuela and Saudi Arabia don't need to import any oil at all.

That's kind of disingenuous. Venezuela and Saudi Arabia don't need to import any oil at all.

What's disingenuous about it? Given the amount of oil this nation's natural resources are producing I'd like to see some cheaper gas at the pumps. I didn't say I expect it to happen. You're happy with the price of gas?

Of course, I'm not happy with prices and think there should be much stronger rules about the commodities markets. However, comparing the prices in very small countries that are among the largest producers of oil that have small numbers of users to US consumption is nonsense.

We probably agree that we need dramatic increases in CAFE standards and hybrid cars. We also probably agree that public transportation needs to be dramatically increased. But you are comparing apples to filet mignon.

Of course, I'm not happy with prices and think there should be much stronger rules about the commodities markets. However, comparing the prices in very small countries that are among the largest producers of oil that have small numbers of users to US consumption is nonsense.

We probably agree that we need dramatics age mo increases in CAFE standards and hybrid cars. We also probably agree that public transportation needs to be dramatically increased. But you are comparing apples to filet mignon.

Something you and I agree 100% on. Way too many gas guzzlers on the roads, and our propensity to build cities that encourage suburban sprawl and a reliance on autos rather than urban planning techniques that discourage more sprawl.

Venezuela prices are artificially deflated to keep the masses in line. Not sure about SA, but all and all, I would much rather live here.

Saudi Arabia and other oil-producing countries heavily subsidize to keep the cost of gasoline down and keep their populations happy under their repressive leadership. This article is a little old but says that SA spends 13 billion a year on it. http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Americas/2011/0913/World-s-cheapest-gas-Top-10-countries/Saudi-Arabia-0.48-per-gallon-0.13-per-liter Remember those countries produce crude oil, but generally don't have sufficient refining capacity to supply their own needs. They ship the crude to the US, we refine it and sell the gasoline back to them. Not a bad deal for the US, all in all.

So the US became the top oil and natural gas producer under Obama?

That doesn't sound right.

Venezuela prices are artificially deflated to keep the masses in line. Not sure about SA, but all and all, I would much rather live here.

I'd rather our nation was more in line with Norway when it comes to oil, where the citizenry as a whole benefit from the wealth their natural resources generate. I think that's preferable to a miniscule percentage of people, including execs at companies like Shell/BP/Exxon, reaping huge rewards from public resources.

So you'd like lower 48 + Hawaii to be more like Alaska.

So you'd like lower 48 + Hawaii to be more like Alaska.

Well, compared to Norway I think Alaska only collects a pittance from the companies that operate there. The Norway oil fund is currently at around a trillion dollars. But yeah, I think I would.

If Norwegian cuisine is really anything like the Disney version of Norwegian cuisine, sign me up.

Also, acquavit is delicious (that may belong on the unpopular opinions thread).

Back