• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

US News Rankings: We're No. 28! Yay......at $75K a year?

So, say I'm a resident of North Carolina just graduating from high school. Why would I not go to UNC?

Don't get me wrong, I love MSD, but..............

Man, I'm fired up. Who the fuck is gonna loan some dumbshit 18 year old $400k to study Psychology at Wake Forest?

A: fucking anyone who can that has their loan bankruptcy-proofed and backed by the federal government. FUCK

Welcome to 1986. Only the scale is different but the arguments are exactly and I mean exactly the same.

I mean, High Point and Elon cost $55k and both suck balls. There is no private university that offers an acceptable ROI under the current system unless you work in investment banking or become a partner in a big law firm.

Man, I'm fired up. Who the fuck is gonna loan some dumbshit 18 year old $400k to study Psychology at Wake Forest?

A: fucking anyone who can that has their loan bankruptcy-proofed and backed by the federal government. FUCK

It blows my mind that people on this board don’t understand how college tuition works. Only the very rich pay full tuition. The average indebtedness at Wake after 4 years is $35,000. At UNC it is $22,000, the state average is $26,000, and the most is Chowan at $38,000

Rafi, plenty of posters here are very rich and they plan to stay that way by not paying full price to send their kids to Wake.

Rafi, plenty of posters here are very rich and they plan to stay that way by not paying full price to send their kids to Wake.

Several posters were discussing taking out $400,000 in loans to go to Wake - that’s not how this works, that’s not how any of this works.

By very rich I mean that $400,000 is an afterthought. If it’s not an afterthought, then you won’t be paying full price.

Last edited:
So one person goes to Wake and pays full tuition and leaves with 0 debt, another goes to Wake and is lucky to receive a scholarship leaving with 0 debt, then another needs to take out 105,000 in loans. Average indebtedness 35,000.

rafi, any stats on socioeconomic makeup of Wake vs other schools around the state?

So one person goes to Wake and pays full tuition and leaves with 0 debt, another goes to Wake and is lucky to receive a scholarship leaving with 0 debt, then another needs to take out 105,000 in loans. Average indebtedness 35,000.

Yep. No one is taking out 400,000 in loans.

that everything you said is true because Wake has a ton more kids per capita from families who are paying full freight because they're very wealthy

Sticker price is interesting, but I’m much more interested in the average actual amount people pay to attend.

I went to a school most here would consider “bad,” and with a scholarship it cost my parents about what a state school would have. My friends from there are doing quite well. I have a hard time believing Wake is worth sticker price over going to App State for 15% of the price of tuition.

You're wrong Rafi. I make a decent living but $400K out of pocket would kill us, and my child can't qualify for financial aid at Wake. We've worked with the university and run the calculations through Wake's own formula.

So it's loans? That's the answer? That's bullshit. My kid walks into the world with $40-$50K in debt (likely more) for a school outside the top 25 with only regional employment influence?

Fuck that. It's sad, but fuck that. Wake isn't worth the cost. Not even close.

a) i'm not paying to send my kids to wake
b) on an annual basis, someone bitches about how we're not climbing the rankings, as if it's a basketball poll and schools ahead of us are losing rankings. That's stupid. Look at the schools ahead of us and tell me which ones you're embarrassed to be associated with and which ones we should be jumping. There's no difference in prestige of being #28 or #18. They're all good schools.

So, say I'm a resident of North Carolina just graduating from high school. Why would I not go to UNC?

My daughter is at UNC. Zero debt to attend there vs some number of debt to attend Wake (we saw average student debt figure and noped out). They find a way to knock the price down a bit, but to get the most out of you (your child) they have to include debt.

My daughter applied to Duke because they max out student debt at $5k/year. Graduate from Duke with only $20k debt? Hell yeah!

I came out with around 35k'ish in student loans IIRC in 2003/2004 (5 year program). My parents paid maybe $1k/year. Wake grants made up the rest, none were merit based. I'm an accounting major and remember being shocked at how little it was, and that's even with me taking $6k out Junior year once I realized I was funded more loans than I hadn't spent the first 5 semesters for living expenses I didn't know about. Got myself a 25" TV, and playstation 2 and full blown entertainment system at best buy within four hours.

Still ended up taking my dad dying until I could pay that shit off.

You should if you can get in. Or another similarly priced school.

Last edited:
Back