• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

USA off the beaten path

Bozeman is better. Same vibe but closer to Yellowstone, hour from Big Sky and better fishing.

one of my best friends from hs has lived in bozeman for a few years now. trying to make it there soon as she loves it.

I am interested in hearing about Ashland, OR.

artsy-folksy town down in southern OR; the town itself is quaint and they've got a few festivals they host over the course of the year that draw some interesting characters. There are a handful of good breweries in that area, too

Loved Astoria, OR and McMinnville, OR

Astoria is great, and McMinnville... funny, I don't see McMinnville that way but I guess if you're just visiting it's got some good little shops/wineries/etc. A couple awesome restaurants, too. Hm. I suppose it fits the bill.

Half Moon Bay, CA
Hood River, OR

oh man - 100%
i don't think of this as 'off the beaten path' because i'm there all the time, but i guess if you're coming in to Portland you don't think to go to the town 45min away. such a cool spot, wineries and breweries galore, beautiful setting.

Fayetteville, WV. Hiking, rafting (New River and Lower Gauley) solid beer and food scene and it's just frequented by awesome people. 2.5 hours from the Triad. Fun spot for a weekend.

idyllwild, ca by palm springs is incredible

apetit, this was a great recommendation. Idyllwild is amazing.

We then headed south to the Sonora Desert, east of Niland, to Salvation Mountain, which is an amazing place (even in 108 degree temperatures).

salvation-mountain_00.jpg

Also stopped by the Salton Sea, which is somewhere between amazing and literally hell on earth. The sand is made up of ground up fish parts and littered with decaying fish, though the scenery is incredible.

Last edited:
apetit, this was a great recommendation. Idyllwild is amazing.

We then headed south to the Sonora Desert, east of Niland, to Salvation Mountain, which is an amazing place (even in 108 degree temperatures).

Also stopped by the Salton Sea, which is somewhere between an amazing and literally hell on earth. The sand is made up of ground up fish parts and littered with decaying fish, though the scenery is incredible.

Damn son, you were in my backyard. I grew up about 30 miles from Salvation Mountain - slab city is a pretty crazy area if you venture into it past Salvation Mountain.

R.I.P. Leonard Knight, awesome dude. I'm glad that Salvation Mountain is still surviving.

I had a great breakfast in Niland once.

Damn son, you were in my backyard. I grew up about 30 miles from Salvation Mountain - slab city is a pretty crazy area if you venture into it past Salvation Mountain.

Where are you from? We drove around Slab City for a few minutes, but my car wasn't doing so hot at that point and we had to turn around. We did drive through Bombay Beach for a few minutes. That place was nuts.

Where are you from? We drove around Slab City for a few minutes, but my car wasn't doing so hot at that point and we had to turn around. We did drive through Bombay Beach for a few minutes. That place was nuts.

El Centro; 30 miles due south of Niland.

Bryson City, North Carolina has better access to outdoor activities than anywhere else in the state. Lake Fontana is one of the greatest lakes in America. Lake Tahoe, Crater Lake don't have anything on Fontana.

Bryson City, North Carolina has better access to outdoor activities than anywhere else in the state. Lake Fontana is one of the greatest lakes in America. Lake Tahoe, Crater Lake don't have anything on Fontana.

Fontana is awesome, but what is the deal with the water levels. Are they back up to normal, or do they release water on a schedule? It seems low when I have been there in the past.

Fontana is awesome, but what is the deal with the water levels. Are they back up to normal, or do they release water on a schedule? It seems low when I have been there in the past.

It has been normal over the summer months the last 3 years or so. They release the water levels in the winter like most damn controlled lakes though.

Back