• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

usic Thread 2.0

That list is weird. I like how it's like all 2000s, with some 90s thrown in, and then they are like -- "here is Fisherman's Blues!" and "here is Nick Drake," and that's it from pre-1990.

Def some cool records on there, but I guess I don't really get a sense of what "indie folk" is, though I probably like a lot of it.

Radiohead stream today is from 94 in London

love that record. I "got" it one night I dosed with some friends in about 1986 and went to see Rush/Blue Oyster Cult at the Greensboro coliseum on a school night, and so was home by midnight still tripping balls and played it over and over in my headphones until dawn

good times
I was at that concert

Hearing about G'Boro concerts, I always remember being backstage for a Jethro Tull concert there. It was one of the first "quardophonic" concerts. Someone asked Ian Anderson why did they try in G'boro. He chuckled and said something like, "If we bollocksed it up here. who would hear about it."

Ahhh, the days before social media.

BTW- it sounded great...they didn't bollocks it up.

Dudes, for my birthday my wife got me a record player. I've wanted one for years, but with young kids I though it would be a waste, i.e. lots of scratched records because kids can't keep their hands off shit. I am so pumped to finally have one.

Well, now that you have one. You must get:

William Shatner album
Muhammad Ali's album
You've Got the Right String but the Wrong Yo-Yo- single
Ice Ice Baby

Dudes, for my birthday my wife got me a record player. I've wanted one for years, but with young kids I though it would be a waste, i.e. lots of scratched records because kids can't keep their hands off shit. I am so pumped to finally have one.

building a collection is so fun

i made rules for myself so i didn't bankrupt our family

i allow myself to buy $30 worth of records per month, sometimes that's just one, sometimes that's 3, depends on if i can crate pick or if i'm online shopping, sometimes with gift cards i splurge

i also made a decision that i wouldn't buy more than 1 record from an artist, which has been the hardest thing to follow; if you're only going to constrain yourself to one record by certain artists, what do you do??

i've only worn out a couple records and re-purchased, but that's a good feeling in itself

I'm busting to get my dad's old record player tuned up so I can start using it, especially since my office is where it will live. Maybe will try to do that this weekend...

building a collection is so fun

i made rules for myself so i didn't bankrupt our family

i allow myself to buy $30 worth of records per month, sometimes that's just one, sometimes that's 3, depends on if i can crate pick or if i'm online shopping, sometimes with gift cards i splurge

i also made a decision that i wouldn't buy more than 1 record from an artist, which has been the hardest thing to follow; if you're only going to constrain yourself to one record by certain artists, what do you do??

i've only worn out a couple records and re-purchased, but that's a good feeling in itself

Yeah man, I am so pumped to start collecting, I'll have to behave. The one record rule might be good, but I'll have to make exceptions for the Silver Jews, Pavement, Pink Floyd and Yo La.

I'm busting to get my dad's old record player tuned up so I can start using it, especially since my office is where it will live. Maybe will try to do that this weekend...

I was so fucking dumb, in high School in '94 I donated my parent's 1970's era record player to our school's theater troop because they needed it as a prop and that player sat unsued in our basement for like a decade. I've regreted that move since about 2004.

I was so fucking dumb, in high School in '94 I donated my parent's 1970's era record player to our school's theater troop because they needed it as a prop and that player sat unsued in our basement for like a decade. I've regreted that move since about 2004.

I got it from him last summer but never got around to fixing it. Now that I'm spending a good portion of the day in that room it'd be nice to listen to records, but alas.

Make sure you get a new cartridge. The old one may look good, but it may not perform well.

Look into album cleaning devices. They make a big difference.

Just remember it can be fun to hit the 99c bin and get some assorted classical or weird records too

Puppets, erect
With batteries set
They charge for a while
And fall right into rank and file
When they forget
That we cut the checks
They get really riled
And fall right into rank and file

Yeah man, I am so pumped to start collecting, I'll have to behave. The one record rule might be good, but I'll have to make exceptions for the Silver Jews, Pavement, Pink Floyd and Yo La.

Nice man. For Christmas 2015, my wife gifted me a turn table, a copy of Led Zeppelin (#1), and a 3 month subscription to Vinyl Me, Please. 5 years later I'm still a VMP member and the collection has grown to about ~275 albums or so.

Back