• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

usic Thread

Blake Brandes: motivational rapper!

http://www.blakebrandes.com/blog/

He freestyled once for this student group thing I did at Wake and he's super talented. Studied hip hop on a Fullbright, I think. His stuff now is corny AF but I hope it makes him happy and it's reaching people because he's an A1 dude.

Ibeyi last night was probably the cutest concert I've ever been to. I was so fucking smitten.

oh my god

edit: the album on the whole is a little underwhelming I guess (though I think I like it much more than p4k after reading their bullshit review), but there are a couple of awesome standout tracks like this

Last edited:
I think the new kurt vile might be his best album yet. Not a track as good as wakin on a pretty day, but the whole album is his most consistent IMO.

Pretty excited to check out the other releases today. Anyone listen to new chvrches or dead weather?

Last edited:
Julian interviews Dev for Oyster Mag:

http://juliancasablancas.com/dev-x-julian-uncensored/

Screen-Shot-2015-09-14-at-11.41.04-AM.png

And for those of you who might whiff on those two NYC tastemakers, and not click through to the interview, you would missed out on this:

Michael, James, and Prince all on the same stage:

That's a sweet Super Bowl jacket.

Sick amount of good new releases out today.

I think the new kurt vile might be his best album yet. Not a track as good as wakin on a pretty day, but the whole album is his most consistent IMO.

Pretty excited to check out the other releases today. Anyone listen to new chvrches or dead weather?

Just came here to post that this album is some good shit.

New Dead Weather and Big Grams albums are free on Amazon prime music

Last edited:

Haven't listened to the entire chvrches album yet, but really like what I've listened to so far. Looking forward to listening to Kurt Vile and Futurebirds all the way through as well.

Wife and I seeing acoustical Yo La Tengo show tonight in Dirty Durham. Fired up.

got my boys Dawes tonight. Last time I saw them was with Conor basically as Bright Eyes so it will be nice to hear just them

Some more thoughts on dat new Youth Lagoon, which after listening to for most of the past week, I gotta say, is probably a top 3 album of the year for me.

It's the least experimental of YL's three albums, and easily the sharpest. The difference in production from Wondrous Bughouse to this is stark. It reminds me a little of Perfume Genius' turn last year on Too Bright, except Savage Hills Ballroom is way better than anything Perfume Genius has ever done. It'd be easy to attribute most of the success here to Powers' songwriting and (incredibly emotive) voice, but I think that would undersell the production, which is legitimately fantastic. My biggest concern when I read review after review discussing the "clarity" in this album's production was that it would be boring and safe, and neither characteristic is true of it. It is at times dark and brooding, and at times stunningly sparse. Most surprising is that it didn't lose one of my favorite qualities about Wondrous Bughouse in the transition: just like with Powers' voice, there are warbles and ticks lurking in the background that only reveal themselves after multiple listens.

Anyway I'm going to shut up now because bros probably don't care, but this is a 5/5 album for me

Here are my favorite tracks:

got my boys Dawes tonight. Last time I saw them was with Conor basically as Bright Eyes so it will be nice to hear just them

That show last night at Music Hall was sick.

Reactions: BDL
Back