• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

usic Thread

Not good? I don’t know anything about this stuff.

I listen to a pretty wide selection of current hip-hop. And this list does its damndest to be intentionally obscure for the most part, with a token known rapper out of every 20 songs for good measure.

The bass player from the Runaways, Jackie Fuchs(aka Jackie Fox), has won three days on Jeopardy so far.

The new Swervedriver album is available early to the pledgers who helped fund it. It really took me by surprise in its mellowness. A great headphone album. Reminds me a bit of OK Computer in a way. 3 tracks from it were released over the last couple months, but it’s better taken as an album experience IMHO.

Watching Cyndi Lauper on the Kennedy Honors show last night made me think about how much two Philly bar band legends had to do with her success. For years, she hadn't been able to really break through. Then, she came to Philly and took Robert "Hazard's Girl's Just Want to Have Fun" and the Hooters' "Time After Time" and her career took off.

Although she had nothing to do with it, this created a one way war of jealousy. Hazard never got over the Hooters having so much more success than he had. He was played on WMMR and some in NY but never really caught fire nationally. He was bitter for many, many years.

Unknown Mortal Orchestra - Everyone Acts Crazy Nowadays is my 'put it on loop at work and grind' song of 2018

Nice For What / In My Feelings were fun summer jams

Streamed the NYE Phish show while hanging out 12/31 - thought it was a great show and set. Anyone else here watch or listen?

Fifty years ago tonight, two unsigned bands flipped a coin to see who would close the show at the Whiskey A Go Go on Sunset. They did pretty good after this weekend of shows- Alice Cooper and Led Zeppelin.

Who closed? Iron Butterfly?

Zeppelin ended up closing for those shows.

What many may not know is that Mario, known as the King of Sunset Strip, owned the Whiskey, Roxy and Rainbow. He brought a couple of his boys from Chicago to help him run those joints. Mario's ability to buy all those places allegedly originated from his being "the most successful building inspector in the history of Chicago". :)

Fifty years ago tonight, two unsigned bands flipped a coin to see who would close the show at the Whiskey A Go Go on Sunset. They did pretty good after this weekend of shows- Alice Cooper and Led Zeppelin.

Zep was signed to Atlantic by the time they went on their debut North American Tour in December 1968 (started the tour in Denver).

Back