• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

usic Thread

Ken Burns has a country music series coming out in 2019 too

country I'm really digging now: Esther Rose's You Made it This Far

Yeah, Burns used a ton of pictures from our collection in the new series. We have the Florentine Films archive here, too, up until '97 anyway, so Civil War, Baseball, The West -- pretty cool -- our A/V peeps are doing a lot of cleaning up of the Civil War stuff at the moment, I think. Not sure if we just stop at '97 or all the other stuff is coming at some point, or what. I don't know how Archives work exactly yet.

Last edited:
Two years ago today. I hope you're resting easy Brother Walter. This is a wonderfully oddly home-produced -sounding (though it was produced by Fagen) gem of a song with some, like, Casio key effects and probably just a drum machine, but a smooth little jazz sax solo. Very thin and mid-90s DIY feel, but I dig it.

New Sandro Perri out tomorrow. I really REALLY like his record Impossible Spaces, and I dug the last one, though it was a bit much (4 tracks, one of which was a 3-part song, all of which were like 20 minutes long), but this one seems like it might be a little more Impossible Spaces-esque.

Red Rocks delivers once again. Last night was Steep Canyon Rangers, Fruition, and the Wood Brothers. Beautiful night on the rocks - all three bands sounded great. I'd guess 5-6K which is only about 2/3 capacity. I'm not surprised by the turn out, it was better than I thought it would be. All three bands, but especially the Wood Brothers, were awesome. We ended up 15th row, right next to the sound board - so the mix was perfect from where we sat.

great jenny lewis show last night

setlist

with arms outstretched was a great closer, and then a huge encore with the watson twins was fun

the lady bartender gave me a free round of drinks cause she liked my dead shirt too and said i'd better come to JRAD, which, i will

also giggled aloud to myself rocking out to the girl music and thinking about TAB saying girls writing about girl music is the worst

I was thinking of going to Hopscotch to see the Jenny Lewis/Purple Mountains bill, but Berman harshed my vibe on that. I kind of have a thing for Lewis, the star of one of my sister's favorite movies growing up, Troop Beverly Hills, with Shelley Long.

I was looking up some Grateful Shred stuff because the bass player jammed with Neal Casal and Cass McCombs, and that band seemed like a super legit Dead cover band. I'd check them out if they ever came around me -- they seem mostly West Coast, but they are good.

Last edited:
Little Brother and Deerhunter would be cool

have you ever checked out the non-music stuff at Hopscotch?

I've only been to Hopscotch once - I think it was the first one -- and I saw Rosebuds, Broken Social Scene, and Panda Bear. I bought a pass for that weekend, but none of my other friends did, so I sold it to someone and then I just have never been back. I'm not sure why, it just doesn't appeal to me all that much. Most of those bands come through the area within six months either side, and I don't really want to deal with crowds and driving to Raleigh because I'm lazy and have bad anxiety. Nah, haven't checked any of the other stuff they do out, I'm not even sure I knew there was non-music stuff. What all is there?

I was blown away at how small the crowds were at Hopscotch when I went a couple years ago, that it was financially viable

I know they have some literature stuff, some design stuff, not exactly sure

they market it funny, almost completely separately from the music stuff -- no real centralized information

author of a book I just picked up is at Quail Ridge tonight and Hopscotch tomorrow; not exactly sure the format

Say Hey and his wife are going to Deerhunter I think. They got VIP passes.

Who's the author?

Sarah Rose Etter -- wrote Book of X, which is next up for me

from my much-discussed favorite small press out of Columbus: Two Dollar Radio -- they've been killing it lately

the lady bartender gave me a free round of drinks cause she liked my dead shirt too and said i'd better come to JRAD, which, i will

also giggled aloud to myself rocking out to the girl music and thinking about TAB saying girls writing about girl music is the worst

Also, Townie, this lady was def throwing game.

This is what I was referring to. Internet cat women have been hating on LDR (while simultaneously claiming to like her) for a straight decade now.

https://www.npr.org/2019/09/04/757545360/lana-del-rey-lives-in-americas-messy-subconscious

I had sort of written off LDR, but this new album is v good -- return to form that is comparable to her debut.

Back